Member Array
    Car:
    sf5, eg9

Buying DC5R HELP!

Hey guys,

Have a quick question.. went and had a look and drive of an 01 DC5R today.. lady owner, been serviced at honda ect all seems well except for a rattling noise when vtec engages? engine has no other noises on idle or free revving either. cars 100% stock. is that just how they sound from factory or is it a timing chain problem i can hear?

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S
    maybe a loose tapet cover ???, im only guessing , wats the actully sound , lose metal , vibrations ???? does the owner have an idea ??
    Last edited by JUST VTEC; 29-08-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    sf5, eg9
    sounds like metal vibrating, car still has the vtec pull / not losing power but just sounds really weird

has the front ever been in any accidents? Might be just something not screwed on tightly or secure. Whenever i do hit vtec, i can kind of feel the engine shaking with little rattling sounds. But nothing too major. It is expected for some little rattling sounds when the car is going through a lot of power though. Best to try out some other DC5Rs and see if they make rattling sounds similar to the 01 model you checked.

Member Array
    Car:
    sf5, eg9
    Have a feeling its mounted a gutter as stearing pulls to the left, maybe an axel problem? will try find another 01 this week to go drive, was also thinking of pulling the airbox off and seeing if sound is still there. the price is too good to let it go, might be a simple problem that can be fixed.

Car probably just needs a wheel alignment if it's pulling to one side. Haven't really noticed any dramatic vibrations in my dc5r, but then again.. I have hasports so the vibrations are fairly constant :P

Member Array
    Car:
    sf5, eg9
    It could be just the way a stock one sounds which is nothing like a B series motor. really raspy tinny metal rattle when it hits vtec, is this how they are with the stock airbox? or should i be hearing a cross over like a B motor?

Sounds about right. Just get a new intake and you'll hear the cross over more

Member Array
    Car:
    sf5, eg9
    thanks for the help, will let you know how it goes.

Member Array
    Car:
    Vonda R
    check her plastic cover the one that sits ontop of the intake manifold? that vibrates but its a plastic to metal sound though.
    SPAM|WERKS
    got you covered with a johnoroll

Member Array
    Car:
    sf5, eg9
    ended up being an exhaust leak from an oxy sensor if anyone has a similar problem. thx for help guys