Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    for the VTIR's you can get a special tool to set the clearances along with fealer gauges.

you can also use a 10mm socket and extentiopn bar on a 3/8 breaker bar, but its more of a pain, but it works.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM EF9 SiR
    for me I had a spare 10mm spanner lieing around, so i heated it up red hot, then bashed it over a brick to get it to curve up. Then i re bashed it over on the other side to turn the originally strait 10mm into one the resembles an

.....|--C instead of originally a O------C
    .....|
    O--|
    OG 03' Member #429

Member Array
    Car:
    EK (sold!)
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    for the VTIR's you can get a special tool to set the clearances along with fealer gauges.

you can also use a 10mm socket and extentiopn bar on a 3/8 breaker bar, but its more of a pain, but it works.
    How does the special tool look like? where can i buy it and how much?

If you use the socket how do you keep the screw from turning when you tighten the nut?

Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    for me I had a spare 10mm spanner lieing around, so i heated it up red hot, then bashed it over a brick to get it to curve up. Then i re bashed it over on the other side to turn the originally strait 10mm into one the resembles an

.....|--C instead of originally a O------C
    .....|
    O--|
    Can I borrow it

Car:
    twin GX160's
    this is what it looks like

they are not cheap.

you use the socket to undo the nut, it should only be loose enough to be able to just move the screw inside. set the tappet clearance and nip up the nut. check the clearance, if its ok, move on, if its to tight you have to loosen the nut then back the screw off abit then do up the nut then recheck. just keep doing this until you get it right.

takes a bit longer but defantly doable

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    TUBE SOCKET/SPANNER FTW!

cost me $12 from total tools.. put the screwdriver through it and use a spanner on the other end to turn the nut

Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by Dxs View Post
    TUBE SOCKET/SPANNER FTW!

cost me $12 from total tools.. put the screwdriver through it and use a spanner on the other end to turn the nut
    absolutley awsome idea. probably the best way to ghetto this tool on the cheap. Im on my way to get a 10mm and 12mm tube socket

many thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    96 EJ8 Civic Coupe
    This DIY is reccomended. Very easy to follow, thanks ECU-MAN. Gave it a go on the weekend and worked a treat, Shut up my tappets and motor feels 'tighter'. yay.

One question though, Can u clarify the TDC mark on the harmonic balancer? Is it the single little hole on the circumference of the smallest ring of the balancer?

Car:
    twin GX160's
    no its the single mark on the circumference of the larer ring of the balancer.

usually a white mark, the timing mark is a red mark between two marks.

Ill see if I can dig up a picture

Member Array
    Car:
    96 EJ8 Civic Coupe
    oh no... could i have screwed it all up then? i didnt use what u described. car seems to run fine though..

Car:
    twin GX160's
    did you line up the cam on TDC of Cyl #1 and #4 like in th bellow pic

Member Array
    Car:
    96 EJ8 Civic Coupe
    yeah i could match up all the markings on the cam gear no problems..
    but there was no markings on the balancer..a few holes here and there on it, thats it.
    as i followed the intructions, each set of tappets that were next to adjust were loose like u mentioned. like i mean the #1cyl set were loose, adjusted them, turned crank and #3cyl were loose.. then 4 then 2. hope u get what i mean.
    car run better though it seems... cant have gone too wrong i guess..

Car:
    twin GX160's
    sounds like you will be fine

good work