Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05 Accord Euro

Angry possibly being charged for tailgating/ following too close.

so the story is that i had a car accident a few weeks back which resulted in my car hitting the car in front which hit the car in front of that. nothing big just a slow speed rear end that resulted in my car sustaining damage but the other 2 cars you would swear had never been in an accident.

anyway the driver of the car in front was on her way to hospital for wateva reason and figured she should get her neck checked out incase of whiplash or some neck injuries. And to have these medical bills covered by TAC she needs to file a report with the police but the police are now wanting to charge me with following too closely.... but please read on before jumping to conclusions.

now the details of why the accident happened is that i was about to change lanes so did the usual headcheck and when i looked back the traffic had started to stop suddenly and of course that 2 second gap was now significantly less after checking for other cars which resulted in me being unable to stop in time and hitting the front car.

the police were never called to the accident as it was nothing major so I am wondering if they can have this charge stick without having been at the scene.

I am not a P plater anymore and have never had a ticket in my life and always leave a safe gap but will they care about this information? they just see that i rear ended a car and assume i was tailgating??

oh and when i spoke to the police on the phone before, the story they seemed to have understood is that the driver needed to go to hospital after the accident and not she was already on her way there...
    Last edited by fmx990; 30-08-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    thats bullshit! as if they can charge you for that without even being at the scene, if the accident caused injury to anyone shouldnt police be called??

is there a way to can go to the cops and give a statement of your side of the story?? cause if she lied in an official statement to the cops, isnt that an offence they can be charged with?
    THAT SHIT WAS BANANAS

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05 Accord Euro
    i've even spoken to the other driver several times and she said she just got it checked out to be safe and incase there are future problems relating to this accident so its not because it was really sore or anything.... but thats not the issue really. its the fact the cops wont take being a good driver doing a headcheck trying not to cause a lane change accident a reasonable answer for losing that 2 second gap.

and when i spoke to the cops on the phone he said maybe if there was a good reason like a spider dropped down or something.. haha wtf?? so looking for a spider in the car is better than doing a headcheck taking your eyes off the road??

but he had to speak with his sergeant about the excuse so as current i haven't been charged but it doesnt sound good.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R and M35
    They will not be able to build a case on you. It will be hard for them to build evidence, looks like its going to be a waste of your time mate.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05 Accord Euro
    But surely being the all mighty powerful police can they just charge you on assumption; and if this is the case can you contest the charge by writing a letter?? and not have to take it to court to have it resolved.
    Last edited by fmx990; 30-08-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    They're the cops, they can do what they want.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.
    to see all of my build, checkout

We tax payers pay for the case against him >.> Its ****in fail the system

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol/cbr250r
    Tell them u sneezed worked for my mate cause u blink when u sneeze
    Everyday im HUSTLN

VOLTEX Array
    Car:
    Bus Route 703
    ^ stat dec, bam, covered

ive heard a story of some chick who ran a red light (it was yellow at the time), she said she sneezed, wrote a stat dec and got away
    Winton 1:37.76 Phillip Island 1:55.27

If you get a summons in the mail, lawyer up, it will be thrown out 100%
    Problem?

FFamily

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    they can charge you with careless driving, If you drive without due care and attention
    or following to close

obviously both because you hit the car in front
    thast the evidence there

you can contest it or be a man and accept you made a mistake
    hope you have insurance too sounds like she wants money out of this

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05 Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by 90LAN View Post
    they can charge you with careless driving, If you drive without due care and attention
    or following to close

obviously both because you hit the car in front
    thast the evidence there

you can contest it or be a man and accept you made a mistake
    hope you have insurance too sounds like she wants money out of this
    if you read the story correctly you would understand how the incident happened. i had my 'safe' gap but the headcheck reduced it and i as i couldnt change into my preferred lane as there was a car there i had no choice but to slam on the brakes and watch as every1 else slammed on their brakes...

but cops called before and said no further action will be taken so obviously realised they dont have a leg to stand on.