Member Array
    Car:
    ek civic coupe

itb setup stock internals

i have extensivly searched forums and recieved no clear answers. is their power/torque gains to be made from an itb setup on stock internals. if the 4age 20v with a CR of 10.5:1 can do it why cant the mighty b series? i would like like first hand info not regurgitated info from elsewhere, and some dyno graphs if possible.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I have heard differing opinions, but the most commonly believed one is that people make more peak power using a CAI, however the low-end responsiveness (and the noise!) of ITB's cannot be beat. However I haven't heard much talk about using ITB's with those heat-shield/box things that enclose them and have a snorkel to a cool-air source.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    On a stock motor the reward for effort and cost is not there, your money would be much better spent elsewhere unless you going for the "i got itbs" look.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    the difference between the ae111 4age ITB and aftermarket ITB, is that its had plenty of R&D, millions of dollars poured into it, it was designed and built with ITB, were as if u were going to go from stock single throttle to itb, u will encounter problems...

IF the cars going to be pure N/A track car, with built motor, than ITB can be seen feasible, as the throttle response would be sharp, and may shave 1/10 of a second....

another car to look at is the skyline GTR series.... there Rb26dett inlet manifold has itbs as well.... but of a differenet setup, as the butterflies are inbuilt into the manifold, and not of a separate like ae111

BUT in saying so... if ur building a 8 second drag gtr, odds are u will ditch the itbs an go for a single throttle body....
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    ITB isnt designed for power gain, its there for throttle response.

If you did an ITB swap you may not see a gain in overall power, but you will have a shit load more down low throttle response.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r,evo1,evo2
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    the difference between the ae111 4age ITB and aftermarket ITB, is that its had plenty of R&D, millions of dollars poured into it, it was designed and built with ITB, were as if u were going to go from stock single throttle to itb, u will encounter problems...

IF the cars going to be pure N/A track car, with built motor, than ITB can be seen feasible, as the throttle response would be sharp, and may shave 1/10 of a second....

another car to look at is the skyline GTR series.... there Rb26dett inlet manifold has itbs as well.... but of a differenet setup, as the butterflies are inbuilt into the manifold, and not of a separate like ae111

BUT in saying so... if ur building a 8 second drag gtr, odds are u will ditch the itbs an go for a single throttle body....
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    ITB isnt designed for power gain, its there for throttle response.

If you did an ITB swap you may not see a gain in overall power, but you will have a shit load more down low throttle response.
    spot on!

itb is mainly for track cars. so that u have a better throttle response exiting corners.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    well i wouldnt say mainly for track cars.

Its a benefit on an N/A track car, but its just as good on a road car.

I had an ae92 corolla with a blacktop 20v 4AGE swap, and it was one of the funnest cars ive ever driven.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r,evo1,evo2
    any pics?? lol sorry to highjack the thread lol

but if your gonna do itbs. work the car before wasting ur money on itbs.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    ITB should be the last thing on ur list in terms of modifications.... ive seen plenty of itb conversions using bike throttles, so its definite doable, pricing can be an issue, as u will need to fab up some plates etc etc... or alternative buy the ITB kit from a aftermarket manufacture an lessen the headaches, but along with doing this, u will need a full ecu conversion, think Motec, Hondata S300, Neptune ecu etc etc.... Even more money..... Than ontop of that, u might as well spend more on modding the engine itself, ripping the block apart, going the full beans, piston, rods, blue print motor.... and by that stage, u would be spending closer to 10k, than ontop of that, tuning the ecu for ITB, an thats not an easy task, much harder than tuning from boost from what ive been told....

IMO, either buy a car that already has ITB such as Toyota Ae111 levin, or go all out and go nuts on the build or go home, an forget the idea lol.....
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Don't forget the support parts associated too.
    Quads alone are less than impressive.
    Airbox - filter (remote is best) + cold air feed.
    Getting this right generlly isn't cheap either.
    Done right, It's all gains....
    Done poorly is the opposite...
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au