Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Isn't high reving bad?

Why does everyone say that Honda engines love to be revved really hard and that it'll still do no damage?

I always thought that was bad for the car?

(bsides da fakt tat u wanna here da fully sik vtec kick da corolla nexts 2 u ass in. )

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Okay, so here is the thing. All Fuel Injected engines have a rev limiter from the factory. This is put in place by the engineers who determine that this is the maximum revs an engine can spin at, without destroying itself.

Therefore, as long as you have enough oil, and the engine up to operating temperature, revving the engine will not harm it.

People say Honda engines like being revved hard because they make no power and torque down low.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 CRV Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    People say Honda engines like being revved hard because they make no power and torque down low.
    Honda engines have to be revved hard because they make no power and torque down low. 'Been driving a dynamically challenged Toyota Aurion for a while for work. Love the grunt.
    SPQR
    The first ever Whiteline RSB pattern for CL9 Euro.
    The world first ever after market RSB for RE4 CRV.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 03
    Try and change gears at 3000 rpm you will get nowhere

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2
    i changed at 2000 rpm sometimes to achieve feul economy

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    I remembered in the manual it said something along the lines that VTEC equiped engines should be regulary driven between 5000-8000rpms.

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    It's a matter of opinion what "revving hard" means , it could mean an someone revving their motor out thru the gears responsibly or could mean revving hard sitting at the limiter doing burnouts from 1-2-3 gears.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5s
    Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    Why does everyone say that Honda engines love to be revved really hard and that it'll still do no damage?
    That's a misleading statement, in theory you would expect the components of an engine to be experiencing increased wear, when the engine is spinning faster.
    But I guess everybody's definiton of, "damage" is different.

Having said that, Honda's are generally small motors with little displacement. To acquire the most power out of this, they are made to have a high compression ratio of air/fuel, resulting in an engine making it's peak power high up in the rev range.

Have a look at F1, the restrictions in displacment means, engines are revving to 20,000RPMS to make the same amount of power.

Remember the old saying- "There is no replacement for displacment"?
    Well Honda has the answer, and it's Vtec- kicking in at 5,800RPMS

LOL

"my vtec doesn't work"

"just turn off your aircon"

Member Array
    Car:
    vtec powered
    you can rev it to the rev limiter, should be fine BUT if you drop down a gear/s and it's hitting the rev limiter, it does damage to the engine.
    there was this clip somewhere on youtube, some dude was at the drag strip in a honda VTEC, dude changed gears from 1-2, 2-3, then 3-2, or something like that, and the gearbox was ripped apart LOL

Revving aint that bad for the car, just dont redline it too harshly. And as vtec screamer mentioned, dont downshift whilst your at redline as that'll just f*** up your engine. Plenty of youtube clips of people on the tracks downshifting instead of shifting up and blowing their engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2

vtec yoo!