Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

radio wiring problems

hey guys, im running into a little trouble with installing the new head unit in my EK. I checked for blown fuses which there was none of and then tried measuring the voltages off the wiring harness. None of the strips showed indication of power. what do you guys think? need help thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Is the bat even connected? lol

check for power cable, if its been connected properly, check grounding wires, make sure u connected all the wires to the corresponding colors/wire

Are u splicing the oem harness to HU or using a aftermarket harness that plugs into oem harness?
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

thanks for the swift reply. i got the car wif the stock radio harness cut off so using the one supplied with the new HU. tried connecting the HU but it wont power up. So i took it off and measured the car wirings, batts connected but reading 0Vs on the wires.

Member Array
    Car:
    7x CRX, 1x EK
    Hey brother try this hope it will help.
    Some cd players have there own fuse
    Tell me if i can help
    http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-ster...7-honda-civic/

pretty sure iv connected it right. could it be the wires needing to be replaced?
    Last edited by uberfox; 04-09-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    7x CRX, 1x EK
    Wires dont really need replacing. i think the ek's are good but alot of modern cars cd players wont work untill all buttons and plugs are plugged in. due to the circuit not being complete. double check your work brother. run a good earth off the negative battery (for a test earth) and hook your test light to that to check. earths need to be good or you will have trouble with noise and when you get sub it will annoy the shit out of you

thanks bro, will have a shot at it again sometime tomorrow

Member Array
    Car:
    7x CRX, 1x EK
    Pm me if you need help brother

Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek
    is your clock working?

hey 2bseen that didnt work. The clock isnt working either

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Have you checked the fuse is getting power? you need to find where your losing the + 12v
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    In most modern cars including the Honda Civic you only need three wires to make it work

1. The constant 12V wire from the battery. This is usually YELLOW but on the Honda harness it is Blue/White. This is the MEMORY wire too as it keeps constant 12V to the headunit so the unit remembers your settings eg. radio stations, volume, etc. If your clock is not working you have an issue either under the dash in the fuse box or out in the engine bay in the under-hood fuse box.
    2. The ignition-switched 12V that turns your headunit on when you insert the key and switch it to ACC or Accessory or IGN. This is usually RED but on the Honda harness it is yellow/red.
    3. EARTH - the black wire that must be connected to a good EARTH point either on the harness or preferably (to make sure you really do have a good earth) with a ring terminal on the end and screwed under the dash to bare metal.

All other connections are speakers.

PS. There is a red/black wire - this is for illumination on the factory unit and is connected to the Dash Brightness Controller. Most aftermarket headunits have their own controls in this regard so you may not need it.

If you have all those things then its possible your headunit is damaged or faulty.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 05-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    Still here. Still kickin'