Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Speedway is definitely an independant, and there is no guarantee that the fuel they source is good quality. Buy from one of the majors. Shell, caltex, BP.

You don't have to run 98 octane you can just run 95. It'll be more expensive, but it'll last longer.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    05 CL9 Luxxx
    I tried the speedway petrol @ the one near cabra with a 07 Camry, and it was a shocker. Cheap as hell, but terrible petrol.
    It's abit expensive, but i put BP Ult in my CL9 and definitely worth every cent.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    All the advice given is generally good.

- Use better petrol from a company who can afford good R&D. BP, Mobil etc. Shell or Caltex if you have no choice.
    - Measure properly. Reset odo, fill to top, calculate L's used and mileage done, figure out your actual consumption.
    - Service car.
    - Shift at 2,500 or a little less if going downhill.
    - Check that your car is reaching optimal operating temperature.

Then get back to us

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    There is some truth in saying using bp98 is better, BUT remember our cars, d-series arnt tuned for bp 98, so in essence, BP98 is a waste, as we can never truly make full use of it, the most beneficial cars that need it are performance cars, as 98 lessens the knock levels much better than good ol cheap 91, sure u can tune a car for 91 an make some power, but the chances of knocking is too much to muck around with, an the power output wouldn't be as much compared to tuning to 98 octane fuels.

If i was going to convert my d-series to boost, than yes, im 100percent convince on tuning the car on 98 octane fuels, and only 98.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    Realistically, honda's are tuned on premium fuels, not standard 91 octane fuels, surprise surprise.... They run much better, and get better mileage

Have u tried servicing the car? oils, coolant, spark plugs etc etc? reset the ecu?, use injector cleaner?

1. Is speedway a independent servo? that might be why as well...
    2. Yes and no, optimum shifting should be closer to 2.5-3k as they have short ratios and the power band in d-series is around there
    3. Coasting in neutral should technically save u petrol as the engine is just idling, an not actually doin anything, if u were to use engine braking, than yea it would use petrol, but at the cost of coasting to a stop, u use more of ur brake pads, which in terms wears em out quicker, realistically u should be using both engine braking and the brakes em selfs
    First, not all Hondas are tuned for premium fuels. Check out the manual, it will tell you. Different engines for different markets will have different tune states. It is very debatable whether higher RON fuels make a difference. Most people see no difference, me included, others do.
    All we do know is that for an engine that cant advance its timing in response to higher RON fuels, there is not necessarily any more energy in a PULP and so you probably wont see a difference.
    2. Changing at 2k is probably too low. At or below 3k is probably better.
    3. Coasting uses as much fuel as idle. Engine braking uses NO FUEL AT ALL for fuel injected cars. You will also save brake pads.
    Last edited by gumus89; 09-09-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 CL9 Luxxx
    True, not all Hondas are tuned for premium, but in regards to the OP's question 1.....comparing BP Ult/other premium fuels, speedway seems crap, but perhaps compared to other reg fuel it isn't too bad?
    I know there's an independent fuel station on the great western hwy near maccas just past cumberland hwy intersection that is fairly cheap and has pretty decent mileage.

Newcomer Array
    im filling up at about 135.00-145.00 per litre for 98 Pulp. 100% shell fuel. at local station.

getting good mileage, as good as bp/caltex....if not better i reckon.
    Int3gra-T "my dick shrivles up like i've been on biccies"

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by notJDM View Post
    Yes I know I am not measuring the fuel accurately. Most the time I fill up $20 worth at Speedway which gets me nearly half tank of petrol. But I find that Speedway Petrol seems to drain too fast, I drive around locally and I find that it just drains too fast hence I just filled up.

Where as one day I gave Caltex 95 Petrol a go only filling up $10 worth from an near empty tank and what I noticed It wasn't draining that fast as to Speedway. I could drive around a fair bit and I only filled up $10 worth.

That's why I am curious and asking what you guys think of Speedway petrol. Maybe it's the cause of my fuel running out so quick. If what I'm saying about Speedway is true, then I will need to find a better company to fuel up from. I just need someone to confirm.

Thanks!
    Ok buddy there's your first problem.. how can 20 bucks get you almost half a tank?
    Also the second half of a tank goes down in terms of the petrol needle on your dash faster than the first half..
    But it will look like theres 1/2 a tank when really theres prob 1/4 to 1/3... 20 bucks would equal 14.5 litres at 1.40 a litre... your cars tank isnt 29 litres... most honda's are 45 litres to the brim so.. if you you think your not getting much out of half a tank its probably because its not really half a tank!!???

Why dont you fill up full next time with say 91.. and check the fuel economy with a fuel tank.. then do the same next week or 2 for 95? Why bother whinging when your only putting in 20 bucks at a time?!!

Member Array
    Car:
    05 CL9 Luxxx
    Dang, good observation!
    I wish i can get half a tank with 20 bucks....if only...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic CXi
    Why is everyone on this board against shell 98 PULP? I've tried all the 98's in town from Shell to BP, Mobil, Caltex and the independents and have found the most consistent to be V-Power 98. Only fuel that doesn't make my car shudder or leave black soot on my bumper. You can't just not recommend a certain fuel because your car doesn't like it, it's a trial and error system until you personally find one that you think/know your car operates better on.

I'd say try the higher octane fuels for sure though OP, you'll notices a bit more grunt and a smoother overall car with any premium fuel, the fine details are completely up to you! Grab yourself a bottle of Wynns/Nulon/etc injector cleaner and give that a run too, around $10-15 from any auto store. I get 400+ km's per tank on Shell 98 and I'm not exactly light on the throttle.

Member Array
    Car:
    crx
    Why cry over a 20c different if will make your car run better, smoother and better fuel per 100kms than it worth it paying that extra per litre

But as other said before worth do engine tune up, replace spark, spark plug leads, fuel filter, air filter, and do throttle body clean
    Will like cost few hundred in parts but will save you few more over 6-12 months
    It will improve the car performance which in return will help give you better fue per 100kms

And doing O2 and water temp sensor is another great idea as sensors do age and wear
    If you see a good Technical post giving advice give some postive rep

Shifting at 2000rpms? I've tried that before to save fuel and it just doesnt work. Because the sweet point of efficiency for most small capacity engines is between 2000 and 3000rpms, so the car has been underperforming and you most likely have to step on the gas hard to get to 2000rpm.
    WP PB 1:15:03