Threaded View

Power Steering Pump - very loud whining noise

Hi all,

My 2006 Standard Accord Euro was identified with a leaking power steering hose around 5 months ago. That hose was replaced under the Honda recall about 3months ago. During last 2 months of driving, there has been no major issues. I have however, always felt that the steering wheel was heavy, but kind of just ignored it.

Yesterday, while driving on highway, a really really loud whining noise emerged from the car. When i had a safe place to test it, the whining noise was coming from the power steering pump (next to the pulley belts). The whining noise is there whenever i step on the gas. It is alot worse when i turn the steering wheel.

I paid a mechanic to examine the issue. The mechanic diagnosed it as a common issue with the power steering pump.

As an immediate short term fix - he flushed the PSF and added new PSF, and also added some kind of LubeGard (sorry i'm not techincal), that he says will remove the noise.

As a permanent fix - he suggested that the long term leaking PS hose may have lead to the current poor state of the PS pump. He says the PS pump may be on its way out unfortunately, and it would be very pricey to replace it. He left that decision with me.

So right now, i'm left with a car that "whines" alot less (but still whines sometimes). The steering wheel has become ALOT heavier than before. What should i do ? Do i take the bullet and get the PS pump ? Realistically what is the total cost of having it replaced, and is that going to be the end of my problems ?
    Last edited by lovenoodles; 12-09-2011 at 03:55 PM.