Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned Array
    Car:
    Euro Luxury; Golf GTI

Euro Jerky Throttle

Hi

Have test driven a 6-sp manual Accord Euro - love it - except for the throttle, which was very jerky on light openings, esp. going slightly downhill.

Is there a cure for this, or does one have to live with it. For me, it spoiled an otherwise oustanding car.

SS

It's the Drive by Wire thing. just have to live with it.
    All electronic throttle are like that.

Bring back the good old cable throttle!!

o4 Euro... [EUROTIC] Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Luxury
    u get used to it

go back to a normal car and that then feels weird

I certainly wouldnt let that stop u from buying what is a freakin awesome car
    Last edited by PERTH_EURO; 14-02-2005 at 04:41 PM.
    [EUROTIC]
    04 Euro Luxury.... now retired

Memory oF A PIMP'n Euro Array
    Car:
    Bavarian Motor Works
    Electronic Throttle baby!!

U got get used to it... After a while u should be able master how to change the gears smoothly...

With the old throtle cables u were able to rev the engine when pulling the cable within the engine bay... Wondering if u can do it with these drive by wires... Haven't really tried but looked at it and u can't seem to do it from the engine bay..

Member Array
    Car:
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    My friend took mine for a spin once and commented that it's not one of the easiest cars to drive smoothly.

It's the worst in first gear probably because it's has the most torque available in first gear.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Euro Luxury; Golf GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by baboo
    It's the Drive by Wire thing. just have to live with it.
    All electronic throttle are like that.

Bring back the good old cable throttle!!
    Many thanks for the replies, gents. Seems I'd have to live with the throttle then.....

Just to clarify a point - it's my understanding that the "jerkiness" is caused by the injectors being completely closed when the throttle is lifted. This is independent of whether the car has an electronic or cable throttle. For example, my current Subaru Liberty (cable throttle) has this same affliction, whereas our Alfa 147 (electronic throttle) is completely free of this jerkiness.

From my limited understanding - it the jerkiness seems to be a by-product of a desire to save petrol and cut emissions. The Alfa keeps the injectors open s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y when off the throttle - hence the ultra smooth transition between open and closed throttle. This jerkiness is one reason why I'm looking to get out of the Liberty - I was hoping Honda might have an adjustment for the ECU.... oh well.

Lovely car, the Euro - quite similar to the Alfa 156 to drive. Great blend of fun and function.

Thanks again, and enjoy your cars!

SS

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    I don't notice any jerkiness on the throttle

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by PERTH_EURO
    I certainly wouldnt let that stop u from buying what is a freakin awesome car
    Shhh, keep it down mate. We don't want too many more people buying Euros... We need to say it is an "ok car"- - that is the common message we should be sending.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2,3MPS,VESPA
    i got to say that the jerkiness is quite annoying but i have noticed if you give the car some stick it goes away and comes back when you baby it again...must have something to do with the ecu limiting excessive fuel when driving gently.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    I don't notice any jerkiness on the throttle
    That's impossible. This isn't a problem as such. All Euro's are like this. Always happens when you lift off the throttle and get back on the throttle again, especially when you are moving slowly.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by coladuna
    That's impossible. This isn't a problem as such. All Euro's are like this. Always happens when you lift off the throttle and get back on the throttle again, especially when you are moving slowly.
    I don't notice this when I drive the car. That is not impossible - I just said it.

I have read on acurazine that no throttle input = car turns off the fuel injectors - that is what people think causes the jerkiness when you re-apply throttle. Sounds more like fuel management than DBW.
    Last edited by yfin; 14-02-2005 at 10:10 PM.

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Drive properly and the jerky feeling is history in our cars...
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru