Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Luxury Auto

[CL9] Annoying clicking noise from engine

I am experiencing a very annoying clicking sound from the engine.

Possibly from the camshafts?

Any idea how to isolate the noise?

Cheers!

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 x2
    Have you had a major service lately? More than likely loose exhaust valves.. Very common on cl9s at my work..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Luxury Auto
    I guess my last major service was for the 40,000km, 3 years ago!

My odo is sitting at 67,000 now. Should I ask to check the valves at my next service? (70,000km)

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 x2
    Yeah definately get them to check the valve clearances
    good luck with it

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    checking valve clearance....

approx 1 hr labour + new head gasket... keep that in mid when getting prices.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    no, you dont need a head gasket when checking valve clearances, you need a valve cover gasket.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux
    I had a ticking clicking kinda noise too..thought it was valve clearance but it was just the drive belt because it had stone chips in it that were making the noise against the metal pulley. Got it replaced and noise was gone.
    Mods: Pioneer Double DIN GPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Buddyclub N+ Spec, Topspeed Headers, Skunk2 Catback Exhaust

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    no, you dont need a head gasket when checking valve clearances, you need a valve cover gasket.
    my bad, yea that thing
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 x2
    Get them to have a look but i think it'll be your valve clearances. Most common thing anyway.. 1 hour labour = approx $100 + $32.35 for rocker cover Gasket, if done at a Honda dealer.. Well that what we charge at my work anyway. If you lived in Adelaide I could of done it for you... Hope it all goes ok for you

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    At 67k, I doubt it is the valve clearance causing the ticking sound. Valve clearance being out of spec causes your engine to sound like a diesel. It is probably the injectors. Take a long screwdriver, place it at various parts of the engine and put your ear on the handle end. Your should be able to pinpoint where the ticking sound is coming from. On mine it is the injectors and it has done so since the 3rd year of ownership.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 x2
    Ok.. We've had euro's with loose tappets at 30,000.. The inlets always go tight and exhaust loose. At 40,000ks there normally loose. but 0.04 of a mm and that is out of spec.. Good luck with it..

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Mine had to be done at 50k... Honda say the k-series taps are supposed to last 60k before adjusting....
    Last edited by Fredoops; 19-09-2011 at 11:34 AM.