Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    B20VTEC Turbo CIVIC

A question on running tempratures

Just curious as to running tempratures for TURBO VTECS.

What is considered safe and what is not.

My non vtec runs a little hotter than before turbo... Was around 190˚F but is now just under 200˚F. As long as you stay under 98˚C (~210˚F) it will be ok.

BTW, it doesn't change the stock temp gauge, these readings are from an autometer water temp gauge, and the Autronic.
    Last edited by shecomb; 16-02-2005 at 07:37 AM. Reason: add commets

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    looking at the temp gauge inside the car, its in exactly the same position. The cooling system will compensate quite a bit and keep the car at operating temperature for any setup that isnt high boost

Member Array
    Car:
    B20VTEC Turbo CIVIC
    My ride has never passed the 90'C, next week a performance radiator is going and a oil cooler as well. Its mainly when caught in traffic that the temp. rises to the 90'C other wise its around 82'C-88'C as is at the moment.

Q. With turbo setups whats a good temp. to turn the car off?

Mainly to prolong the life of the turbo...

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    make sure that oil cooler has a thermostat on it. cold oil can be worse then hot!
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Moderator - here to help Array
    to prolong the life of the turbo, dont give it a trashing if you know you're gona be switching off the engine within 5 mins.
    ppl argue that turbo timers are good/bad. just be safe and let the engine run for 30 seconds before switching off the engine.
    Want to improve OH's website? Make a thread in the site discussion forum.

Know of a nice ride and think it should be featured? Send me a PM.

Hand out PQ points where deserved. Info HERE.

Provide feedback when buying/selling from OH members. Info HERE.

Subscribe to OH and benefit. Info HERE.

OzHonda Terms and Conditions HERE.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    as joyride said, just drive easy in the last few minutes and give it 30 seconds or so after 'normal' driving. If you've given it a real thrashing then perhaps drive around taking it easy for a few minutes more and idle it a little longer.

If the turbo is water cooled then its less of an issue, taking it easy in the last few minutes and then giving it a few seconds idle is plenty (the coolant flowing through helps make sure the oil is below the temperature it cokes it)

Member Array
    Car:
    B20VTEC Turbo CIVIC
    As joyride said, I usually take it easy when i know im going to be turning of the car, different story when i take it out with the intention to give it a bit. My engine is heavily modified so i wanted a ruff idea to satisfy my curiosity and to give me a little piece of mind that the temp. she runs is fine. Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Oldschool EF
    hi when i had a mechanical temp guage in teh car
    the car would run optimum of 70c ALL day.. except at teh traffic lights, the temp wuold go up to 90c then drop to 70 in like 5 secnods..i shit u not (as the fans turned on)
    get a mechanical temp guage. its so fascinating just looking at it move up and down
    also if u laeve ur car in neutral while cruising the temp will go slowly down again,

after i had this i never trusted my dash one :\
    time to get another temp guage

What temp does it run at now? If its under 90'C then you will have no problem

Member Array
    Car:
    B20VTEC Turbo CIVIC
    I get all the info from my EMS Qi4 hand controller, it gives me temp., revs, fuel and so on, very handy.

Member Array
    Car:
    400HP cd5 Accord
    With my shitty accord radiator, most of the time it stays on 90C even when i'm running 21psi. The other night it was on about 92C and thats the max i've ever seen it.
    Your car should be right.