Post Integra DA9 water pump leak?

Hey guys

Ive been sorting out the cooling system on my 91 integra, i replaced the radiator and cap yesterday and this morning noticed a leak under the car (usually what happens, fix something and the next weakest link goes).

Its leaking from under the timing cover side of the engine, is this a suspect water pump? is there any other hoses under the intake manifold?

Looking through the service records it had the timing belt last done in 02 (didnt replace the water pump so looks like its got original water pump and 280k on the clock ) and that was like 160k ago as well so i'm going do the timing belt asap as well.

I'l post a pic and see what you guys think, i'm new to hondas so need some advice.

cheers alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10427.jpg 
Views:	858 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	20055  

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Need to pull timing belt covers off to see if it's leaking from the water pump's weep hole, from the pics it seems a likely possibility.

On the brighter side at least the coolant is still fresh green and not muddy water like in some cars.

haha yea its nice and green because i replaced the radiator and did a flush yesterday so its all new coolant... does anyone know of a good guide to replacing the timing belt ect?

Also i'm looking at purchasing the timing belt and water pump, whats a decent brand for water pump? i was looking at getting either a bosch one or AC Delco one?
    Also what else should i replace, the belt tensioner? i was probably going to grab a rocker cover gasket and the rubber plug on the end of the cam shaft.

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Plenty of DIY guides on the web ie from honda tech threads etc; that along with factory workshop manual pdf will help you with all the info you need.

For waterpump, you can get GMB ones from Veales or similar auto parts shop, make sure it's GMB jap one you are buying though. They cost around $90-120. Geniune water pumps are best, but will cost $200-300.

While you are there, replace all the drive belts ( Gates one are fine ) and definately the belt tensioner (non geniune from veales ).

Rocker cover gasket and cam seals best from Honda, since they arent $$$ ie $45-50 for rocker cover gasket and non geniune ones arent much cheaper. Cams seals wise the non geniune ones are often totally different in design and inferior in durability. Honda cam seals are also pre greased from factory so it wont run dry as you 1st crank it up.

Ok thanks for your help, just one more question has any1 bought parts from the States? if i'm ordering a fair few parts its going to be cheaper to buy from states and ship it here, also is there differences between their integra's and ours engine wise, there both b18a motors?

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Quote Originally Posted by kewliest View Post
    Ok thanks for your help, just one more question has any1 bought parts from the States? if i'm ordering a fair few parts its going to be cheaper to buy from states and ship it here, also is there differences between their integra's and ours engine wise, there both b18a motors?
    I only bought aftermarket parts from usa, consumables to me isnt worth to buy from usa since the vendors usually charge a lot for shipping.
    If I need some honda geniune parts online, I get them from this place from sg:

http://www.autodynamics-honda.com/hoengaseo.html

Prices a tad cheaper than US online stores but more importantly shipping rates very reasonable via sg post air. If parts not listed just email them they can source the same range of parts as other others.

ok thanks +1 to you you've helped heaps

Hey guys quick update, ordered a gates timing belt and tensioner and an Aisin wpump (made in japan, apparently oem to a lot of jap cars) from rockauto for a grand total of $127 to my door, shipping was quick only took a week to get here as well. I was quoted around 250-270 from local parts store so thats a big difference.

I also got a "fuelmiser" dizzy cap and rotor from local place and the quality on this brand is utterly shit the distributor had molding marks on it were the two halves were joined just waiting to crack in no time and when i went to install the electrode with the spring on it snapped in half... so i pulled the used one off the old dizzy and had to use that.

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Hey guys quick update, ordered a gates timing belt and tensioner and an Aisin wpump (made in japan, apparently oem to a lot of jap cars) from rockauto for a grand total of $127 to my door, shipping was quick only took a week to get here as well. I was quoted around 250-270 from local parts store so thats a big difference.

I also got a "fuelmiser" dizzy cap and rotor from local place and the quality on this brand is utterly shit the distributor had molding marks on it were the two halves were joined just waiting to crack in no time and when i went to install the electrode with the spring on it snapped in half... so i pulled the used one off the old dizzy and had to use that.
    $127 huge bargain indeed, came from the states? Got a link to the shop for so other members can benefit?

With Dizzy caps, best to get from Honda dealer since they are not $$$ anyway unlike water pump and tensioner. I bought a dizzy cap+rotor kit from my local honda dealer for only $66 which was trade price. I have a ED9 with B16 gen 1 so the parts I ordered was for DA9 obd0 cap. The rotor was included as it was an improved design to suit the cap also.

Fuel miser utter shit alright, wont even trust their carbie paper gaskets.

yea mate this was the website http://www.rockauto.com/ i have ordered from them twice now and they seem to deliver pretty quick. I order bmw parts for my other car from the states and its the same case parts soo much cheaper even with shipping.

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    yea mate this was the website http://www.rockauto.com/ i have ordered from them twice now and they seem to deliver pretty quick. I order bmw parts for my other car from the states and its the same case parts soo much cheaper even with shipping.
    Thanks for letting us know.

They seem to have a comprehensive listing of most cars and models, but can they supply all those parts?

Interested to know about the BMW parts as I used to own a couple of E30's and some of my friends still running them. For oe aftermarket parts I source them from a local grey importer that sells the German oe brands but E30 being quite old now and they often dont bring much in terms of electrical parts in ie Hirsmann aerial mast, relays, blower fan resistor etc. Also in Aust nobody stock any E30 M3 specific parts being a non official import model.

Are they bmw parts inventory similar to pelican parts?
    Last edited by EG30; 31-10-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Long time since i checked back here,

In regards to your question i havn't used rockauto for bmw parts (an e30 too) but ive used pelican parts.

I think from memory the parts can be housed in different warehouses all over the usa and i was going to get more parts but they were in different warehouses and so the parts were going to ship in individual boxes to aus, pushing shipping way up. I ended up dropping a few things and just getting the stuff that was from the one place to save on shipping.

For anyone planning on doing a timing belt at home, and dont have access to like a $1000 air compressor with enough balls to get the crank bolt off, i would highly recommend getting one of the crank pulley holder tools that are on amazon. It cost me $26 from the states for the tool and then i got 2 breaker bars from supercheap (they actually didnt break i was amazed) and used this setup to get it off.

In the end my leak was indeed the waterpump, the seals had shit itself, but the pump itself seemed ok, it spun freely still.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10476.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	20681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10481.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	20682