Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG5

Type R LSD into Y80 trans help

Ok, ive done alot of serching and reading on this that im starting to confuse myself with info overload!
    I could use some help or a couple good links.

I have a Y80 trans from a jdm B18c and a DC2 type R LSD that i want to install,
    I have the trans torn down ready to install the lsd i just need some info on the following,
    As you can see in the 1st pic the LSD on the right has different bearings from the stock unit which has a roller type bearings, the sealed bearings that are on the LSD wont allow it to fit into the tranny because of what looks like a cup like housing thats in it to suit the original roller bearings so my question is do i need to swap the bearings over or am i able to use the ones that are on the LSD because the "cup like housing" (red arrow 2nd pic) looks like its removable?? Obviously that same housing is on both sides of the case too to suit the roller type bearings, i thought this was worth asking before i went any further this is the first time ive cracked open a trans so some replys would really be appreciated

EG5 w/ B18C Project.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    You could swap over the bearing, but your best bet would to use new ones.

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    The bearings on the left are the taper roller bearing type and ones on the right are the enclosed bearing type.

I would use the enclosed type ie leave them in as they are on the ITR LSD as they are much simpler to check for the correct bearing preload.

You'll need to remove bearing outer race which you have red arrowed on both sides of diff centre ( ie clutch housing side and transmission housing side ), and also the thick shim next to the red arrow. The shim you current have for the taper roller bearings setup is a 79.5mm dia shim, and there could be more than one fitted. You'll need to replace it/them with a factory 80mm shim which looks more like a huge circlip. They come in various thickness from Honda from 1.0mm to about 1.8mm from memory.

The ITR LSD can then be dropped into your box, trial fitted and you must then check for bearing preload before final reassembly ( ie 0 to 0.10mm thrust clearance between the 80mm shim and bearing outer race, tranmission housing side).

Checking the abovementioned thrust clearance with feel gauge, viewing from the outside:

Factory 80mm shim viewing from the inside, I've coloured the sectional area of it pink to show up clearly in pics:
    Last edited by EG30; 28-09-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    Awesome EG30 that helps heaps already, im really interested to see your pics if you can post them id be really thankful,
    The bearing outer race ive red arrowed and the shim whats the best way to remove them..can i get behind them with a punch or something from the backside thru the drive shaft input sides and give them some taps and they will ease out?
    EG5 w/ B18C Project.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    shim would just fall out, not sure about outer race.
    ps, looks like previous owner never change transmission oil?

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerjbl View Post
    Awesome EG30 that helps heaps already, im really interested to see your pics if you can post them id be really thankful,
    The bearing outer race ive red arrowed and the shim whats the best way to remove them..can i get behind them with a punch or something from the backside thru the drive shaft input sides and give them some taps and they will ease out?
    To remove the outer race, gently remove the driveshaft seal by tapping it out from the inside outwards ( best to replace them with new ones ) and then you have more access to the outer race and shims from the outside inwards. The outer race can then by tapped out gently by say a big socket/bearing installer/seal installer etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    So good this has helped alot thankyou!
    I really should have found a manual before i got excited lol,
    I will remove the driveshaft seal, outer race and the thick shim / shims and see from there,
    Yes Mocchi this trans has been sittin in the shed for a couple years along with the motor and now that im planing to use it im putting the LSD in and cleaning it up for use
    EG5 w/ B18C Project.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    Ive gotten to the bottom of this problem, i will post an update and finished results soon for people that might search for this in the future.
    EG5 w/ B18C Project.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    So was it different to what EG30 said? Very interested to see...

update y0~

still no update?

probably no care now that you can sell stuff

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    Ok finished, update-

Yes EG30 info is correct

The enclosed bearing type are the way to go for the lsd install they are easier to check for the correct bearing preload.

The problem i had was the diff bearings, it seems there are 2 different bearings sizes available with the same part numbers which made my problem hard to identify since both bearings look identical if you dont know what to look for.

The enclosed bearings are available in 40x80x18 or 40x80x19.5 both have the same part number from what ive seen in all my searches

The bearings i needed to install the typeR lsd into a Y80 are the 40x80x19.5

Its the inner race of the bearing that is the difference one is 1.5mm thicker than the other and its pretty hard to notice just by looking at it.
    You will need this extra 1.5mm on the speedo ring gear side to give your lsd enough clearence when its in the case or the speedo ring gear will foul.

Since i had two perfect bearings but they were the 40x80x18 size i found there is an Mfactory bearing shim kit to fix the problem also, it is basicly two shims one for each side of the diff that are 1.5mm thick each that you slip onto the diff before pressing the bearing on each side which makes up the difference on the bearings inner race thus bringing it upto spec to 19.5mm in width.
    I ordered my Mfactory shim kit here but you might find a closer dealer elsewhere
    www.Synchrotech-transmissions.com

After installing my Mfactory bearing shims i put the lsd into the case and torqued it down i measured a gap of 1.45mm.
    The case shim is available in various sizes, i ordered 1.45mm for mine the part number is 41454-PL3-B00
    clearance between the 80mm shim and bearing outer race (tranmission housing side) is zero so now my lsd is done.

I found these following links very helpful during my install to help open the transmission etc

http://www.xm-parts.com/articles/hgear/gear.htm

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2443459

I hope the following info helps people looking to do the lsd install

Props to EG30 who really took the time to help me alot!
    EG5 w/ B18C Project.