Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: im a HID nub!

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2

im a HID nub!

Hey guys,

I wanna get a HID conversion for my 03 GD3 Jazz.

But! i need a rundown on how these things work, ie how they attach to the car.

some people say they connect straight to the battery,then it goes to the 2 ballasts and the ballasts lead the new headlight bulbs which u just shove in the regular projectors.

can anybody give me a detailed run down on where/how they connect.

and any recommendations on what temp to get? 4k,6k,8k,15k??

Member Array
    Car:
    D15BSwappedEM1.
    6-8K dont go over that
    Originally Posted by charliebrown
    And whoever said my gsi is overpriced... you got NO idea mate. GSis go for 13k+

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Search man. Covered a thousand times... However how you described it is correct. Most HID kits come with detailed instructions. It is very simple so you can't really go wrong.

With the colour temp, everyone will have a different opinion. 4300k being the brightest. The higher the colour 'temperature', the less bright it will be. I've run 5000k, 6000k and 8000k. IMO 8000k is silly, and doesn't light up the road at all. It looks very blue though. Road signs look pretty cool though. 6000k is a very nice white with a bit of a blue tinge. 5000k is what I'm currently running and in my opinion is the best out of the 3. It's a much more pure white, brighter than the other 2 and has the slightest tinge of blue. 4300k is stock and is the standard white/yellow colour.

A lot of guys run 8000k and 10000k etc and say it's awesome etc. etc. so it just depends on your own personal preference. I think if you've only ever ran with 8000k, you'll think it's OK. But if you've ever used 5000k or 6000k you'll think 8000k is a bit silly. BTW if you're running it in your stock reflectors you will be blinding a lot of people. I bought a car with 8000k HIDs in the standard reflectors. The light beam is horrible and the only way I can make it not blind people is to have it pointed pretty much to the ground so it is useless. If you want to run 8000k pm me. You can have my 8000k H4 kit which will fit in your Jazz for cheap.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    what if i decide on 6k, because i see thats pretty popular choice, will they be good in stock projectors?

anyone recommend any brands?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    6k would be the max i'd go tbh any brighter and its pretty useless when driving in the rain, not to mention it can blind oncoming cars with stock reflectors. I run 6k and its nice colour. I do get the occasional flashes too lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by DTN View Post
    6k would be the max i'd go tbh any brighter and its pretty useless when driving in the rain, not to mention it can blind oncoming cars with stock reflectors. I run 6k and its nice colour. I do get the occasional flashes too lol
    wrong man lol

K = lighting temperature , so its just the color of the light, not the actual brightness, brightness is more to do with the power output. And before u say anything else, the HID ballast acts as a amplifier, but really all its doin is changing the frequency of the power....

6000k is white
    8000k is white with tinge of blue
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    wrong man lol

K = lighting temperature , so its just the color of the light, not the actual brightness, brightness is more to do with the power output. And before u say anything else, the HID ballast acts as a amplifier, but really all its doin is changing the frequency of the power....

6000k is white
    8000k is white with tinge of blue
    You're wrong man... lol

Everyone that knows even a lil bit about HIDs know that K = Kelvin affects the actual brightness. Here's a lil chart for you...

4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm (lumens)
    4300k D2R Philips = 2800lm (lumens)
    4300k D2S Philips = 2400lm (lumens) actually 5800k
    4300k D2R Philips = 2000lm (lumens) actually 5800k
    4800k D4S/R (brand) = 3800 (lumens) ** brightest in the market
    5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300 (lumens)
    7000k D2S other = 1790lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
    7000k D2R other = 1390lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
    8000k D2S other = 1180lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
    8000k D2R other = 780lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Nice post NightKids its a good way of pointing out the difference.

For the people that dont know a Lumen is a unit to measure the VISABLE amount of light. We only see a small section of the spectrum so when you start moving away from the 4000k - 5000k section the bulbs will be less visable given they are the same wattage.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Thanks! Nice post from you too...

And just a reminder to everyone, always do a projector retrofit before you put HIDs in your car. Putting HIDs in reflector housings is not only illegal but will also blind people making it very dangerous to others on the road.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    im a nub, whats a projector retro fit?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic, S15 200SX
    retrofit is converting your stock reflector headlights to projector headlights.
    basically it doesnt expose your HID bulb.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by NightKids View Post
    Thanks! Nice post from you too...

And just a reminder to everyone, always do a projector retrofit before you put HIDs in your car. Putting HIDs in reflector housings is not only illegal but will also blind people making it very dangerous to others on the road.
    Putting HID's into reflector housings will NOT blind people if you adjust it accordingly.

I've been running HID's for many years now, the only time I got flashed is when I installed it the first time and was a nub and didn't adjust the beam.

After lowering the beam, I've never had a single flash; have been pulled over many times and popo's never said anything about them.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend