Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by Touge Tom View Post
    i thought my post was suggestive enough? ie;8:1 comp pistons?
    i thought you wanted 160kw na, and then boost it.
    would you be able to push past 140 with 8:1?

nice post re: valve overlap 89lude. something to think about.

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2R
    Quote Originally Posted by cotties View Post
    it all depends on what you want out of it.
    personally i think its great u want to stick to b series and they have been proven time and time again to be built proof if done right.
    but you really have to plan well, you can price up the internals to your hearts content, but any good builder knows thats only half of it, for a high power b series motor you need lots of mods to all the systems and lot of them has to be custom.

personally i would do a build like this.
    get a erl superdeck block (erl can supply the core) its much cheaper than a dart block and requires far less work.
    due to wanting to run NA i would go for 9.5/10:1 comp forged pistons, 10:1 is still low enough to run moderate boost levels and still keeps the motor very responsive.
    have the block bored out to 84 or 85mm to bring the cc up to the 2000 mark.
    some nice strong I beam rods and arp head and rod bolts
    go for a milder cam like a stage 1 or 2
    get your head ported and flowed.
    oversize your valves by .5mm
    upgrade all the valve train
    get a new intake manifold like skunk2 or edlebrock victor x and a 68mm throttle body
    get a cheap exhaust manifold for NA and a custom 3 inch cat back for when you go turbo

now all this will get you a nice NA setup and it would pretty much be ready to install the turbo.
    the most important part is what your going to do with turbo size and your mods to fuel and ignition system.

you will need to get 2 different sizes of injectors for the different setups so thats a waisted cost, you will also have to have it tuned twice.
    if you want to go past 280-300kw your going to need to change the whole ignition system to individual coils, which is one of the benefits of k series, this is a major cost.
    the pcv system will need to be looked at with the turbo motor.
    turbo size will be a big factor, i would preferably go for a large turbo like a gt38 or a gt4088r, mainly cause you want to run the lowest boost you can but have the most flow you can.
    with the 10:1 you should be able to run 12-14 psi before you start pinging. that should put you up in the 250kw plus range, which is more than enough for any street car.

but to be honest you are going to struggle to do it for 13k, even to boost the factory engine properly will cost you upwards of 7-8k by the time your done.
    Hey thanks for the feedback yeh im budgeting 13k on the n/a side when its time to boost i know i will be looking at more money

Member Array
    Car:
    Nonda Tiburon
    i would understand if you were building a B because your on a budget and wanted to use what you already got.
    but since you keep saying you got 13k to spend - a K series would be better use of your money.

i just find it absurd you would spend all that money because you want to be 'different' - how many K swaps are there compared to built B series engines?
    there are alot more worked B series beacuse alot more people can afford to build them..

anyway its your cash and you ultimately decide on what you want - but i know what i would be doing!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    imo forget about staying n/a. go straight to forced induction and u will be more then happy with 200+ kw atw safetune 13k can get u best of everything.

and as sed in a previous post, n/a needs high compression, turbo needs lower compression. so having an engine built for n/a wont be too reliable with boost.
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Yup. Never thought I'd say this, but K all the way, especially with a $13k budget.

Your probably getting sick of hearing it, but it really is the best option for your money. Step into the 21st century
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    VTC really is great, power delivery and the 6-speed just feel so much better. So much more reliability with k series.
    You would be really quite stupid to go and spend 13k on Bseries engine when you can have a stock K that will wipe the floor with it.

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by 1900-hustler View Post
    i just find it absurd you would spend all that money because you want to be 'different' - how many K swaps are there compared to built B series engines?
    there are alot more worked B series beacuse alot more people can afford to build them..

anyway its your cash and you ultimately decide on what you want - but i know what i would be doing!
    &
    Quote Originally Posted by GSi_PSi View Post
    VTC really is great, power delivery and the 6-speed just feel so much better. So much more reliability with k series.
    You would be really quite stupid to go and spend 13k on Bseries engine when you can have a stock K that will wipe the floor with it.
    He is not stupid to want to spend that amount (Or more) money on a B-Series, or anything else Non-K-Series for that matter.
    If you're going to be that blunt with your insults, i think you're an idiot because you drive a Civic/Integra.
    Where's your NSX or S2000? You modified your Civic/Integra.. And a stock NSX will wipe the floor with it - Lol.

See how pathetic that is?
    It's his money.. He will use it not to be different, but to be 'Himself'
    If he sees himself driving a worked B-Series, all the more power to him.
    Why are you all so bloody generic? God damn. Live a little.

And on topic;
    13k is about what you'd be looking at to have this Motor done up quite nicely.. My longmotor alone cost me around $12000 and it's tipped to be unbreakable to 550kw/10,000rpm
    Last edited by Jccck; 06-10-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    What's stupid about advising someone to spend the same/less amount of money on something that is better in every way?

I love the B series to death, trust me I do. But the day that I experienced the K series for myself, I realized that times have changed, technology has advanced, and K series is hands down and undoubtedly the way to go now. There's nothing 'generic' about choosing wisely with your money.

Anyway I'll leave it at that. No need to turn this into a K vs B debate.

160kw N/A b series would be a hell of a lot of fun that's for sure!
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    ofcourse the K is a better engine then the B, firstly it has newer technology and has a bigger displacement. but the B still holds its own,
    no point having a lot of power when u cant put it to the ground. eg that dc2r k24/20 head build, engine was built by drhonda but only ripped a mid 13 pass.
    traction was an issue ofcourse.

ive said it before in this post and ill say it again, just turbo it.
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    Nonda Tiburon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jccck View Post
    He is not stupid to want to spend that amount (Or more) money on a B-Series, or anything else Non-K-Series for that matter.
    If you're going to be that blunt with your insults, i think you're an idiot because you drive a Civic/Integra.
    Where's your NSX or S2000? You modified your Civic/Integra.. And a stock NSX will wipe the floor with it - Lol.

See how pathetic that is?
    It's his money.. He will use it not to be different, but to be 'Himself'
    If he sees himself driving a worked B-Series, all the more power to him.
    Why are you all so bloody generic? God damn. Live a little.

And on topic;
    13k is about what you'd be looking at to have this Motor done up quite nicely.. My longmotor alone cost me around $12000 and it's tipped to be unbreakable to 550kw/10,000rpm
    why so defensive mate?
    why so easily insulted on a forum? you aint even the OP and the post aint even directed @ you..

where everyone's logic is sound i.e. K series will be a better 'bang for buck' in comparision to a B series - your's is completely ridiculous comparing a stock NSX to a modified Integra or Civic..

people are just giving their advice based on their experience and knowledge - OP can do whatever he/she wants and can choose to ignore everyone's posts/opinions - no one is going to loose any sleep over it..

if there was a more effective and efficient way of doing something im sure most people would want to know..
    but if the OP is set on a B series then go ahead and do it.. im sure there is plenty of information he can use..

OP, if your long term goal is to use force induction on your engine than just wait - otherwise you will be doing things twice..
    save your cash and use it for other parts - i.e. suspension, tyres, brakes, braces etc etc

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    If you got 13k to spend and want 160kw from a B and serious about the build and what you want, PM me as I can put one together for you, no problem.