Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2007 CL9 5 AT lux nav

CL9 replacement?

I have been tossing around the idea of replacing the euro. Not sure that I will but thought I would get opinions.

I absolutely love the euro although sometimes I would like more power for the fun factor and rwd/awd for similar reasons. Its abillity to handle media/bluetooth, etc without modification/aftermarket is another shortcoming but not huge.

The reason I am even considering a change is that my wife doesnt feel confident driving it...has difficulty judging size/space for parking and tight areas as many women do, and having already scaped a neighbours car in our tight apartment parking area has the jitters about it.

I am trying to be realistic about not loving a car so much that I keep it too long also. (Its a 2007 lux nav btw...black on black)
    I think the CU2 is a nice car but bloated in comparison. Have been looking at 40 to 45 $k range...not necessarily new...but less than 40 k on the odo. New is good but the immediate $ loss is the negative. (Assuming high teens/20ish for trade I would have finance 20k or so)

Among many that I have considered are BMW 1 and 3 series, Audi A3/4,Subaru Liberty, Alfa , VW Golf (R32 included), Lexus IS250 in used cars. I know most of these are similar in size to CL9 but looking at smaller cars led me to look at al the other options. New I have been looking at the new Focus Titanium diesel with the lot (but no nav available yet). This all hands off research so far.

I know its a personal decision that nobody can make for me...but would like to hear peoples opinions, suggestions and experiences. On a side note my bro is in the car biz and gave me an updated nav disk (whereis honda vers 14) but its for accord not Euro...bloody Honda..so if somebody can use it....

Member Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO
    I would stick to your Euro,but have a look at the new Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TSI...its also an awesome car,full of features ,and is basically the sedan version of the Golf GTI for thousands of dollars less...

Member Array
    Car:
    05 CL9 Luxxx
    Yeh I agree, Jetta might be a good one to look at.

Prius

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    For that money, I'd go a brand new Golf GTI with DSG mate. They are an absolute blast to drive, and extremely easy to live with parking ect. Interior wise, they have as much room, if not more than the Euro too!

As for IS250, I got a Lexus ISF and it's hard to judge where the corners of the car are. Lucky they have parking radars, reversing cameras, and all that good stuff. The IS250 is a HUGE step up in comfort and quality from the Euro, but the 250 lacks power (just like the Euro). Silky smooth though. Go for a 350 if you can find one if this is the way you want to go.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    05 CL9 Luxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Type R Positive View Post
    I got a Lexus ISF :cool
    /jealousx9000!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2007 CL9 5 AT lux nav
    Thanks for the replies guys...part of my problem is my 50 year love affair with cars. Not now and probably never will be in a position to have a dream car...one where money is almost no object....and dont have the space available to have an interesting second or project car so the daily driver has to satisfy the "need". Love performance and "driveabilty" but apart from some bikes and a V8 panel van in my youth, have never really pursued the petrol head path. (kids etc). Having said that the Euro has provided me with the enjoyment of an efficient and enjoyable driving experience and probably would be happy to keep it for the very long term. Its a bit like being happily married but looking around and wondering

The Jetta does indeed tick many of the boxes and in its new iteration is defintely more than a golf with boot attached stylistically and dynamically...the Golf is a short wheel base hatch and while that makes for great handling The comfort factor suffers slightly I think and for my wife thats an issue...dont want a hatch as the dd...would like it as a second car.

But I do have some concern with the internet car forum buzz of unreliabilty and high service cost across the VW range. I realise forum comments generally only represent extremes of opinion...fanbois and buyers remorse negative people....so its sometimes hard to get a balanced and realistic feel.

I think atm a good (low k) Lexus is outside the range pricewise, and without going very small the other Germans are also a risky proposition however much fun and comfort. Prius?..lets just say never have and never will consider it. The Koreans are excellent value but prefer understated styling and whilst much improved longevity/resale is potentially still an issue. Mazda..if i were considering a Mazda I think I would get another Honda.
    Having said all this I realise its just another thinking aloud ramble ...oh well. I am definitely going to have drive of the Jetta and see if it gives the tingle and take it from there

Member Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO
    Let is know what you think of the Jetta,I had a 2007 2.0 FSI for 3 and a half years before the Euro,and loved it.

If it had not been written off by the hail last year,I would still have it,and maybee updatong to the new one now.

But saying that,I am more than happy with my Euro,as enjoy every drive in it.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2
    golf. cus its smaller to squeeze into spaces? plenty of power, AWD. inside of jetta isnt that appealing IMO. you're right about the korean makes and no-go mazda.
    my friends issue with VW was that her injectors got clogged, and was just outta warranty, by the end it cost her 6000$ to get it fixed by VW.

the cu2 has no leg room for adults. just saying.

or u can get this :P dont have to worry about parking space. anywhere is a parking space
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quu5Bi5QEPI

Member Array
    Car:
    07' CL9 Lux 5AT
    Quote Originally Posted by cbol55 View Post
    The Jetta does indeed tick many of the boxes and in its new iteration is defintely more than a golf with boot attached stylistically and dynamically...the Golf is a short wheel base hatch and while that makes for great handling The comfort factor suffers slightly I think and for my wife thats an issue...dont want a hatch as the dd...would like it as a second car.
    We had a brand new Jetta in at work for evaluation purposes recently - we were supplied a 118TSI Comfortline with just about every option box ticked - sat nav, 17's, etc.

Whilst I was only able to drive it around the block twice, the consensus from people who drove it extensively and had previously evaluated the old Jetta was that whilst the new Jetta was now more justified as a medium car (as opposed to the old one which was really a small car which VW decided to market in the medium segment), it wasn't quite as sharp handling-wise as the old Golf-based Jetta. The ride on the optional 17's was very harsh for a family car, and unfortunately didn't exactly translate to stellar handling, which some had described as a bit floaty. The worst part was the build quality/materials, which was not up to the previous model's standards - some sharp edges, larger interior panel gaps, and other evidence of cost cutting.

Personally, as a direct comparison to the CL9, I found the ride on the Jetta to be harsh and less comfortable, whilst I really wasn't sure if the Jetta actually handled better. The drivetrain really is a work of art - lots of low end torque, and the DSG gearbox is great once you get moving, even if it is absolutely shite in stop-start traffic. I found that the CL9 was more "fun" to drive - sharper steering with a bit more feel, though I do have some bracing on the front suspension on mine. Can't comment on build quality as I didn't have the time to take a closer look, but I found the interior (and exterior) boring and a bit utilitarian.

I've got a colleague who has a Polo GTi and his recent 30k service cost him over $500. He is now looking to get rid of it as he's decided that he'd save a lot of money by leasing a work vehicle instead. VW servicing costs are even worse than Honda! :P

Member Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO
    I like the general look of the Jetta,and although it is NOT aggressive looking like the Euro,it is very Audi looking now,but think there has been cost cutting compared to its very popular predesessor.
    On the outside,there ised to be lots of chrome,now very little.

Interior I noticed 2 things.

1.The drinks holder in the previous model had a very neat cover which slid open and closed,and had a gimmicky but useful VW logo bottle opener.
    The new model has 2 blank holes with no cover and no bottle opener.
    2.The little storage section,where I keep coins and petrol vouchers has been illiminated.

The boot opening used to be fully carpeted,its not at all anymore.

I had a good look at one,as after 4 new VWs,thought maybee I would trade the CU2 in for one,but after comparing both cars,I still prefer the Euro...this might however be mt second choice.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by cbol55 View Post
    I have been tossing around the idea of replacing the euro. Not sure that I will but thought I would get opinions.

I absolutely love the euro although sometimes I would like more power for the fun factor and rwd/awd for similar reasons. Its abillity to handle media/bluetooth, etc without modification/aftermarket is another shortcoming but not huge.

The reason I am even considering a change is that my wife doesnt feel confident driving it...has difficulty judging size/space for parking and tight areas as many women do, and having already scaped a neighbours car in our tight apartment parking area has the jitters about it.

I am trying to be realistic about not loving a car so much that I keep it too long also. (Its a 2007 lux nav btw...black on black)
    I think the CU2 is a nice car but bloated in comparison. Have been looking at 40 to 45 $k range...not necessarily new...but less than 40 k on the odo. New is good but the immediate $ loss is the negative. (Assuming high teens/20ish for trade I would have finance 20k or so)

Among many that I have considered are BMW 1 and 3 series, Audi A3/4,Subaru Liberty, Alfa , VW Golf (R32 included), Lexus IS250 in used cars. I know most of these are similar in size to CL9 but looking at smaller cars led me to look at al the other options. New I have been looking at the new Focus Titanium diesel with the lot (but no nav available yet). This all hands off research so far.

I know its a personal decision that nobody can make for me...but would like to hear peoples opinions, suggestions and experiences. On a side note my bro is in the car biz and gave me an updated nav disk (whereis honda vers 14) but its for accord not Euro...bloody Honda..so if somebody can use it....
    You want a smaller car? damn I was about to suggest the Skoda Superb... BEST.FAMILY.LIMO.EVER.

Anyway, about the Jetta, it's no longer a Euro Competitor, it's sized AND priced to slot BETWEEN a Civic and the Euro

A lot of the VW problem comes when idiot owners use the wrong oil etc.

Wait for the new Mazda 6? with Skyactiv? that makes Vtec look like dinosaur technology
    Or the Kia Optima (I know I know....) but it matches CU2, and theres a Turbo Version....
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars