Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Importing cars into Australia

I recently had a look at the difference in price of purchasing a used car here in Australia and the prices you could get the same car imported from Japan. I had a look at the s2000, for a fairly decent one with around 80xxx on the clock, would be going for around 16k USD

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car...a/s2000/?eid=1

My question is, is there a risk in importing the vehicle as you are not able to physically inspect the car & if you have imported in the past, how was your experience. Did it in the end costing cheaper than what it would be to purchase a car here in Aus (including transporting etc)

Thanks

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK
    use a good agent and you'll be fine. my importer had a guy on deck inspecting cars before the auction, gave me full jap report on the bodywork and inspected the car started and everything was there and sorted before auction. e-mailed me updates as the auctions were going through and made recommendations based on his guy in Jap.

downside risk- i bidded and won the auction, transferred money over to Jap bank, then the Tsunami hit. if my car was anywhere near the tsunami zone thats bye bye $$ so i got lucky. and yes i paid a lot less then market value for my ep3

would i do it again? hell yeah..

That's a risk that you take, but I'd imagine the process of importing then compliancing and all that will end up costing you a fair bit anyway? Unless you got people in that field it's best you check out the stuff around here for better peace of mind.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    i remember seeing something like this on mightycarmods. I think it cost around $3k getting it in or so? not that much really..

that's if you're hell keen on a JDM one.

I'm in the same boat as you.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

and that you can't just import a car and rego it. the car needs to be under the SEVS list? an s2000 isnt, the only way u can import one, i think is via, personal import, as in u lived in japan for one year, and ur came back n brining ur car with u (s2000)

but if u got paper (go to the thread a few bumps up about rebirthing, lol import ur s2000 and rebirth it)
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    yeh i was under the assumption you cant import a car and actually register it here if the manufacturer sold it here. (australian delivered)

so can i buy a r35 gtr for like $60k in japan and then bring it here and register it? dont think you can because nissan brought the GTR here for sale at dealerships
    you can import it and use it as a track car but.

only way to do it is like what mwaku sed. personal import
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    Liberty GTspecB
    Quote Originally Posted by dc2r-0636 View Post
    yeh i was under the assumption you cant import a car and actually register it here if the manufacturer sold it here. (australian delivered)

so can i buy a r35 gtr for like $60k in japan and then bring it here and register it? dont think you can because nissan brought the GTR here for sale at dealerships

This.
    @OP unless you go live in japan for a year for it or do a dodgey, you are not bringing a S2K in
    I used to have a EK sedan
    psn: w-_custer_-w

Quote Originally Posted by dc2r-0636 View Post

The laws are so ****ed.
    You can import an S15 yet it was sold here in australia yet many people wouldn't know that....
    I do believe you CAN import an R35 GTR... Expect to pay alot of tax though

Quote Originally Posted by Raztaz View Post
    This.
    @OP unless you go live in japan for a year for it or do a dodgey, you are not bringing a S2K in
    Or... you get an agent who is willing to hold the car for 12 months, ship the car over for you and then sell it to you upon arrival in Australia.

It's changed, I know some people in compliancing in VIC at least, the new go is apparently 5 years of ownership 1 year of USE before you can bring it in as personal import. It's apparently getting more strict and for a car like s2000, not worth it.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    I work at a japanese import car yard, and let me say this, the whole owning a car in japan and bringing into australia isn't as easy as it sounds. Yes you have to own it for 1 year, but you have to prove that you lived there, paid for petrol/tolls etc.. and you have to prove that you are leaving the country permanently etc.. so you can't just buy it and store it for one year.

Cost about 5k-7k in taxes to bring a car over.. "compliance, shipping, quarantine, handing duties etc.." its not easy unless you get someone to help you and know what they're doing. This is just for a normal import eg. s15 Spec r.

for a personal import your gonna be looking at paying more..

My boss lived in japan for awhile and when he came back to Australia, he brang his Evo 9 Wagon, only one in Australia. He said he wouldn't try bring a personal import over again as its just nothing but headaches!

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 03
    What about bringing it from new Zealand surely the costs would be not as much especially shipping

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Quote Originally Posted by WATAJK View Post
    The laws are so ****ed.
    You can import an S15 yet it was sold here in australia yet many people wouldn't know that....
    I do believe you CAN import an R35 GTR... Expect to pay alot of tax though
    It depends on the year the car was sold in Australia.
    S15 - Sold in Aus from 2001, so you can import S15 built between 1999 to 2000.
    GTR - Sold in Aus from 2009 iirc, so you can import JDM GTR built between 2007 and 2008.