Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by WATAJK View Post
    You guys do understand this will be allowed to be driven by P Platers right in Victoria (don't know about other states)
    You will be able to get an exemption easily as it's a family car, good ANCAP rating most likely, good fuel econony etc..
    The new 1.4L Holden Cruise which is turbo can be driven by P Platers....

Good bye to the True Type R Legacy...
    Will be keeping my Integra for sure now.
    P-platers have been driving cars more powerful than this 210hp civic previously, think VL turbo, wrx etc etc, infact my bro had a R33 skyline, with 200kw (back than it was alot LOL), an had one for the duration of his p-plates, an had no issues with it, at the end of the day, its all about driver education imo

but....how can ppl say they are not looking forward to the turbo or the car without even driving the vehicle, its like judging a book by its cover, thats just aint on....

As some said, the previous gen Type-R are nothing more than a niche market, this one on the other hand is for global market who wants a entry level sports car with a kick

sure some purist like you peeps will disagree about the turbo type-R, but if its not competitive to the level of the entry level sports car much like wrx or mx5, than u really gotta ask urself, why did u buy that car in the first place
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    At 210hp, that gives it the same power as the Golf GTI. The question will then be whether the Type R is able to beat the GTI in all the other departments, which then turns it into a crapshot since some things will be better and some things will be worse. Heck, even the power deficient XR5T has 222hp!

I'm not Honda, but if it was me and I had to overcome the stigma of a design that looked like the un-sporty FN2R, I'd turn up the wick and aim my power specs towards cars such as the Megane RenaultSport's 250hp. Then it puts the Type R beyond the hot hatch (which is now the warm hatch since even an Aurion will kill it in a straight line) and into the serious hyper-hatch category of the Megane, Golf R and Scirocco R.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    dont forget the focus rs with 224kw (300hp)
    snapping 2nd..

Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    P-platers have been driving cars more powerful than this 210hp civic previously, think VL turbo, wrx etc etc, infact my bro had a R33 skyline, with 200kw (back than it was alot LOL), an had one for the duration of his p-plates, an had no issues with it, at the end of the day, its all about driver education imo

but....how can ppl say they are not looking forward to the turbo or the car without even driving the vehicle, its like judging a book by its cover, thats just aint on....

As some said, the previous gen Type-R are nothing more than a niche market, this one on the other hand is for global market who wants a entry level sports car with a kick

sure some purist like you peeps will disagree about the turbo type-R, but if its not competitive to the level of the entry level sports car much like wrx or mx5, than u really gotta ask urself, why did u buy that car in the first place
    New laws my friend
    New laws now don't allow you to drive ANY turbo/supercharged vehicle UNLESS you can obtain an exemption from VicRoads/RTA.
    This exemption is only granted on the basis of the vehicle such as safety, 4 seats, low performance turbo'd car etc etc

Type R was based upon the philosophy of Naturally Aspirated, why go and change that philosophy ?
    Build another car with the turbo dream but don't ruin the Type R.

That's my opinion... Plus by the way, if that photo becomes reality, it looks pretty shit to me..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The new laws allow P platers to drive the turbodiesels such as the Golf 1.6 and 2.0L TDI's. The list of cars are on Vicroad's database which is searchable and very comprehensive. It tells you which car is approved, not allowed and allowed with application for exemption. http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...leDatabase.htm
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK B18c
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    At 210hp, that gives it the same power as the Golf GTI. The question will then be whether the Type R is able to beat the GTI in all the other departments, which then turns it into a crapshot since some things will be better and some things will be worse. Heck, even the power deficient XR5T has 222hp!

I'm not Honda, but if it was me and I had to overcome the stigma of a design that looked like the un-sporty FN2R, I'd turn up the wick and aim my power specs towards cars such as the Megane RenaultSport's 250hp. Then it puts the Type R beyond the hot hatch (which is now the warm hatch since even an Aurion will kill it in a straight line) and into the serious hyper-hatch category of the Megane, Golf R and Scirocco R.
    Agreed. Moving away from their traditional NA values for what? I'm annoyed. If they were going to go the turbo route, at least they could do it properly. There is some serious competition in the turbo hatch market.

What's with the hate against turbos.
    Turbos are awesome. I think if this thing does ever make production, it'll be so much better than the high revving NA motors.
    More and more car companies are now also using turbos instead of NA engines as they need to comply with stricter emission laws.

210hp on an NA and 210hp on a turbo motor is not the same. I'll bet a dollar that the 210hp turbo motor will be much much nicer to drive everyday.
    It'll have good torque down low, a more usable power band, etc etc. It's not the peak power you should be concerned with, it's the power under the curve!

I for one am quite sick of having such a highly strung small displacement NA motor. Sure it's nice to beat around the track at 9000revs all day... but drive it down around town and having no power down low sucks big time.
    My brother swapped his S2000 for a golf gti and I have to say, that it is an improvement in daily driving. ~280Nm of torque at ~2000rpm, makes it a great car to drive around town.
    So I went and got a diesel engined car... now I have 500Nm to play with. Now THAT's nice...
    Last edited by h17am; 18-10-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Ur brother is Erik?

No erik has an R32, not a GTi

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by h17am View Post
    What's with the hate against turbos.
    Turbos are awesome. I think if this thing does ever make production, it'll be so much better than the high revving NA motors.
    More and more car companies are now also using turbos instead of NA engines as they need to comply with stricter emission laws.

210hp on an NA and 210hp on a turbo motor is not the same. I'll bet a dollar that the 210hp turbo motor will be much much nicer to drive everyday.
    It'll have good torque down low, a more usable power band, etc etc. It's not the peak power you should be concerned with, it's the power under the curve!

I for one am quite sick of having such a highly strung small displacement NA motor. Sure it's nice to beat around the track at 9000revs all day... but drive it down around town and having no power down low sucks big time.
    My brother swapped his S2000 for a golf gti and I have to say, that it is an improvement in daily driving. ~280Nm of torque at ~2000rpm, makes it a great car to drive around town.
    So I went and got a diesel engined car... now I have 500Nm to play with. Now THAT's nice...
    We don't hate turbos, at all.
    I personally LOVE the RenaultSport Megane Cup Chassis, its gotta be one of the BEST handling car I've ever driven.
    I love also the Golf and Polo GTi.

Now, the problem isn't turbo, or drive-ability daily. The problem is Honda, having to resort to FI for their sports range because they've blown all the money into hybrid tech.

Honda having to resort to Forced induction and pretty much the same as Porsche having to resort to building Boxsters back in 1996 using 911 parts.
    - it's out of necessity. Because Honda has no answer to the Euro hot hatches with the current part bin.

Remember Advanced-VTEC 5 years ago? It was said to be able to deliver more torque down low and more power up top AND lower emissions. They said it was "production ready for 2007" well turnout to be hot air
    Remember direct injection on the Honda Stream? ("i-VTEC i"), back in 2003? not continued, despite the benefits.

I reckon having direct injection coupled with Advanced-VTEC could see Honda N/A's give any turbo a run for their money.

Being a pain in the ass to live with was a part of Type-R heritage tho....
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Resorting to turbo is a necessity indeed.
    You may think that a-vtec + direct injection would give turbo motors a run for their money, but Honda probably had looked at it and said:
    "Na... screw this... it's too complicated and too expensive. Even if we could make it work, it'll be too expensive to make and sell."

And even if they did make it, the turbo squad isn't going to stand still either, all they'll do is just up the boost a little bit and get even more power.
    Then what will Honda do? Put flux capacitors? Invent RA-VVVVtec-i type SR-SiR-VTiSRTi DI FSI-R? What ever that is...

When that happens, Honda's competitors will just go: "meh... let's ummmmm.... up the boost, that'll do it." Then voila... an RA-VVVVTEC-i type SR-SiR-VTiSRTi DI FSI-R killer.

Being a pain in the ass to live with is not something car makers should be proud of imo.