Installing LED/SMD Strips in an EK1

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Response to: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...29-in-Civic-EK

Note: I used scrap bits of wire and spare led strips to write up this guide. This is my sister’s car so I had to remove everything after I was done.

Aim: To install footwell led strips that turn on and off with the dome light. (the EK1 doesn’t have any dimming feature).

Required:
    • Led strips, preferably ones with adhesive backing for mounting on panels, etc. I bought mine off a seller on Firesport for $7 each.
    • Wire taps (blue, from Bunnings)
    • Wire (about 18awg)
    • Electrical tape/duct tape
    • Zip ties

Optional:
    • Inline fuse (2A is enough) and fuse holder (recommended, although the dome light fuse should blow if there is a short circuit)
    • Relay switch (recommended if you are running more than just a couple of led strips off the dome light, e.g. lights under your car)

Steps
    1. Undo the three screws holding the panel under the steering wheel.

2. Pull the panel towards you, holding it from the edge where the clips are.

3. Unplug the mirror switch, and place the panel near the pedals so that it isn’t hanging from the steering column (I don’t know what happens when you unplug the thing).

4. Locate the plug for the dome light. It is the plug with two wires coming out of it; white with red stripe and green with red strip.

5. Push the entire plug down to slide it off the clip. It is easier to do everything with the plug detached.

6. Tie a knot in one end of the wire, and push the wire into the wire tap so that the plastic insulation is cut and the metal wire is in contact with the metal bit in the wire tap. I like to tie a knot in the wire first so that the plastic at the free end of the wire doesn’t come off.

You can also just shove wires into the back of the plug and secure it with tape if you don’t want to use wire taps.
    7. Close the wire taps over the dome light wires, ensuring that the wire is positioned over the slit. Use pliers to help close the wire taps, making sure that it clicks and stays closed. You have now tapped into the dome light circuit. Secure the wires using zip ties. I also attached a wire connector thing so that I wouldn’t short anything. You can use electrical tape to cover the wire after you have stripped it.

8. Connect the led strips to the new wires and make sure they light up. Leds will only light up with correct electrical polarity, so you may need to swap the wires around if they don’t turn on the first time.

9. Reinstall the panel that you removed, and mount the led strips wherever you want. I didn’t mount them because I was going to remove everything anyway.

The lights will be off when the doors are closed, so you will need a double throw switch to turn them on when you want.

This is how it looks in my Jazz:
    Footwell lights:

Boot light

Member Array
    Car:
    Sausage legs
    Prayers answered.