Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    92 honda civic

92 Civic D16A8 stripped timing belt, will the valves be bent ?.

My son has stripped the timing belt in his 92 civic engine model D16A8. Had a mobile mechanic come around and confirm this is the problem, but isn't sure if the valves will be bent or not wants to come back and another call out fee to check the valve clearance to find out if they are bent or not.

After searching the net and finding various answers they will be bent for sure to you may be lucky and the valves might not be damaged at all.

Can someone confirm this or not, been told if the valves are bent its going to cost $2000 or more to fix.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    it has most likley bent the vlaves, cheapest option is to just get a replacement engine.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    you can take the head out and check the valves if something went wrong with them. No way on earth it cost 2000$, you can get a same engine for less than half price from wreckers and have peace of mind.
    You can rebuild the head, that cost way less than half price.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    92 honda civic
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    The mobile mechanic told me the $2000 was to rebuild the head and fit a new timing belt.
    He is coming tomorrow to check the head but he seems to think the valves may be bent if its not a clearance engine ? if they are not bent he can just replace the belt, tensioner and seals ?

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Also you can ask in wreckers for d16a8 heads and save time rebuilding the head. Give wrecker around a call and ask for quote for engine or just head, and see which will cost less.
    where do you live?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    92 honda civic
    Adelaide

they'll most likely be bent. from memory d16a8's arent free spinning motors. ive got a spare motor if you want though?
    team.gradeA

more smart. more safe. moreTEIN

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    92 honda civic
    Thanks mate, getting the head stripped and checked tomorrow there is only a slight mark on about 3 exhaust valves and may be lucky that none are bent at all.

Member Array
    Car:
    black EF
    no need to take the head off, just put new belt and cylinder pressure test it.
    waste of a oem head gasket.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    There's a d16a8 motor for sale for $200 in the parts section.. Replace the whole motor instead.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    92 honda civic
    Head has been checked and tested and not one bent valve. Had it machined, valves refaced and replaced worn valve sleeves. So just have to refit the head and a new timing belt.

So I guess it was just luck none of the valves were bent ?.

Member Array
    Car:
    DB6
    my car was in gear 3 or 4 rolling at 60-70 forgot, down a hill too, timing belt just snapped. tryed accelerating shifting down and accelerating etc, , rolled into a small street. did tried cranking the car so many times, clutch starting because i did not think of timing belt. towed it home. changed my timing belt, cars all normal. not bent valves..

heaps of people told me i bent my valves..