Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000

Removing the air box lid

Performance would be decreased I would think?
    I wouldn't do this all the time, just interested to see how much louder it is.
    Is it safe to do?

It doesn't do much. Maybe a +- 0.05 kw difference lol.
    It is safe, as long as you have the filter to filter the stuff flying through.

tbh, I don't think it will make much of a difference in terms of noise. Maybe try gutting the airbox with a K&N filter replacement for increase noise. And for a bit of extra performance an eBay scoop

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezza View Post
    Performance would be decreased I would think?
    I wouldn't do this all the time, just interested to see how much louder it is.
    Is it safe to do?
    I've done it! been driving it like that for 8 months. Makes it like 3 times louder. sounds beautiful. really hear the vtec. not much difference in performance. only downside really i found is that the filter gets dirty alot quicker and is more prone to getting wet. But! pff. i love itt!!

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 s2000
    prone to heatsoak. wait till summer comes and you'll feel the engine bog.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Just went out for a drive with it off. It has a nicer, throatier sound. Very nice. Engine got much hotter though.
    However I've just ordered my K&N FIPK, can't wait until that arrives.

the FIPK is a fu***n beast. You won't regret it.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    I just went for a drive without the lid on and nearly shat myself when I hit Vtec.

If I drill 2 big holes in my lid, will I get the same result? I'm guessing my air scoop will stop me from loosing the 0.05kw while moving if I had no lid. Engine may not be happy when stopped for a long time though

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Simmoyo; 17-10-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmoyo View Post
    I just went for a drive without the lid on and nearly shat myself when I hit Vtec.

If I drill 2 big holes in my lid, will I get the same result? I'm guessing my air scoop will stop me from loosing the 0.05kw while moving if I had no lid. Engine may not be happy when stopped for a long time though

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    If you drill holes in the top of your induction box / remove the lid it will almost render your snorkel useless, because the filter will suck in all the hot air from the engine bay. Where as when you have the lid on it is forced to suck the cooler air from the snorkel.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    I agree... but when the car is moving wont cold air be pushed into the air filter through the snorkel?
    Last edited by Simmoyo; 18-10-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda s2000
    I've done it, heaps louder, performance no diff.. bit better if you ask me (prolly psychological from the noise hehe)

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    I was thinking of making a hole on the bottom, and another on the left side of the box so water can drain and hopefully not as hot air will get in.

How big are your holes Engine09?
    Last edited by Simmoyo; 18-10-2011 at 06:43 PM.

most air even inside the engine bay is cool once the car is moving... thats what the americans say before they get into some sort of arguement in the forums