Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

em1 Civic as a first car

im looking for an em1 coupe as my first car and i just wanted to know what are things i should look out for when buying used

if i did end up with an em1 i plan on making a sort of ek9 coupe mock up with the interior out of an ek inside the em, would this be well recieved by the ozhonda and jdmst community?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Nice car choice!. There's countless things to look out for, if i was you spend the extra hundred bucks to get a history check and a mechanic to look at it.

Dont be a JDM sheep. Dont let people's opinions control what you do, take opinions and advice into consideration. But never be a sheep. This doesnt mean go and buy chromies and a sick paint job bro! lol. Somethings should absolutely be avoided, somethings are personal preference. E.G Honda civic Eg hatch with a wideboys kit = gay. Honda Civic eg with a lip kit = nice. Everyone thinks my halo projectors are ricey sex spec, but i love them, better than spending big bucks for a JDM headlight that I dont even think really looks nice. My friend has a FN2R which he bought a rare rear JDM diffuser or somesh!t for. I couldnt tell the difference I thought it was stock, and a waste of money.
    Last edited by DakDak; 15-10-2011 at 12:59 PM.

what are some things you would look out for when your buying a used car?

thanks for the advice mani just dont want to be hated for making a bad decision, like everyone that got a commodore at put it on bboss elanors

Newcomer Array
    Specifically ask for the seller to leave the car cold when you come to inspect. Most common problems occur when the car is cold.

Pre-drive checks:
    -Does the car start up fine when cold?
    -Check for blue smoke coming out from exhaust (means car is burning oil)
    -Check for black smoke coming out from exhaust (means car is running rich)
    -Check all electronics, make sure the air conditioning, stereo, etc works
    -Push down on the car just above the wheels, it should bounce up a bit and then back down to its resting position
    -Check for rust, particularly underneath the car and where the doors are where water accumulates
    -Check for body damage, paint, etc
    -Check that the car has been looked after by inspecting oil levels, coolant, power steering, etc.
    -Look for oil leaks around the engine bay

Drive check:
    -Get up to a decent speed (30-40km/h) and brake with your hands off the steering wheel, does the car pull to one side?
    -Get up to speed and listen for an rattles or unusual noises
    -Try turning the steering wheel full lock both ways and also drive a bit and listen for unusual noises
    -Test if the clutch slips
    -Test if the handbrake works properly
    -Give the car some beans to make sure there are no flat spots through the rev range, does VTEC engage?

There are heaps more checks that I might have missed but nothing beats the peace of mind of having the vehicle being inspected by a qualified mechanic. Obviously, inspections are expensive so you should make sure it's the actual car that you want to buy before paying for a final inspection to make sure everything is 100% a-ok.

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahSCOTTT View Post
    im looking for an em1 coupe as my first car and i just wanted to know what are things i should look out for when buying used

if i did end up with an em1 i plan on making a sort of ek9 coupe mock up with the interior out of an ek inside the em, would this be well recieved by the ozhonda and jdmst community?
    as above says check all the usual for rattles and anything missing or changed.

for the 2nd part u shouldnt care about if we like it or not, it your car do what u like and what u want to do not what others tell u.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Banned Array
    Car:
    [|-|]
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMan View Post
    Specifically ask for the seller to leave the car cold when you come to inspect. Most common problems occur when the car is cold.

Pre-drive checks:
    -Push down on the car just above the wheels, it should bounce up a bit and then back down to its resting position
    -Check for rust, particularly underneath the car and where the doors are where water accumulates
    -Check that the car has been looked after by inspecting oil levels, coolant, power steering, etc.

Drive check:
    -Get up to a decent speed (30-40km/h) and brake with your hands off the steering wheel, does the car pull to one side?
    -Try turning the steering wheel full lock both ways and also drive a bit and listen for unusual noises
    -Give the car some beans to make sure there are no flat spots through the rev range, does VTEC engage?

There are heaps more checks that I might have missed but nothing beats the peace of mind of having the vehicle being inspected by a qualified mechanic. Obviously, inspections are expensive so you should make sure it's the actual car that you want to buy before paying for a final inspection to make sure everything is 100% a-ok.
    good advice. +1 rep for you.

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    Quote Originally Posted by egb16b View Post
    good advice. +1 rep for you.
    rep for you too bud.
    you're probably asleep right now but I love you and you're the most beautiful girl I met, inside and out. have a good nights sleep and I hope this puts a smile on your face when you wake up.

Member Array
    Car:
    D15BSwappedEM1.
    Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post
    rep for you too bud.
    rep for you too bud.
    Originally Posted by charliebrown
    And whoever said my gsi is overpriced... you got NO idea mate. GSis go for 13k+

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMan View Post

Pre-drive checks:

Drive check:

Thanks for that man thats exactly what i needed some good practical info

im still a bit unsure about my idea of making a type r coupe but i had a thought that i could import an ek9 and use all the parts from it and sell the engine and shell

EDIT: i know ek9's cant be registered so it would be for parts only
    Last edited by yeahSCOTTT; 16-10-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: forgot something

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    buy a cheap ek, import ek9 transfer everything over. but if the em1 is your first car then i dont think youd have money for a ek9 after or do you hahha
    you're probably asleep right now but I love you and you're the most beautiful girl I met, inside and out. have a good nights sleep and I hope this puts a smile on your face when you wake up.

I'm not talking straight away I mean maybe later on. I don't know why but I can't stand ek hatches even the type r, Honda should have made an em9 not an ek9 lol

EK hatches are gay, especially from the 3/4 rear view. EG ftw.
    WP PB 1:15:03