Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1

EK poor consumption? Leak spotted?

Hey guys
    I'm been driving in my new 99 ek1 for 2 weeks now and i realized it has fairly terrible fuel consumption as i only can go 300km ~ 350kms on 30Litres =/ . My previous Ek did go 450km ~500kms on the same amount so i was wondering if some of the mods that came with the car has as anything to do with it. Its got a aftermarket muffler for all i know and pod filter installed. My car was also serviced 1 week ago and spark plugs where changed as well, but i was thinking could it be a poor 02 sensor and maybe needs replacing? I also usually shift before 3k revs as well and only once it a while push it bit so i do not think that my driving style is the cause of the bad fuel consumption.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1229.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	20217
    The Pod Filter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	20218
    I also was installing new speakers today and i realized that something was dripping underneath the car on the left side underneath the the back of the front wheels

Could this be the problem?
    Any replies will be appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	20219  
    Last edited by manonastick; 15-10-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    driving 350ks on 30litres isnt bad.

that leak could be anything, touch it and smell ur fingers to see if it smells on fuel
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    My EJ8 is also having problems with poor fuel consumption. I've travelled 174km and has used up half a tank already. My car is automatic and everything is stock. I just changed the fuel filter, spark plug, oil, oil filter and standard oem air filter. Even my brothers DC2 has better fuel consumption
    How much does an EJ8 hold? 30L or 40?

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    It had scent of fuel but it wasn't very strong. I could smell fuel after driving or sometimes during driving too if that helps.

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    Updates *
    I did abit of research and just driving i found a few things
    1. I figured the leak has something to do with the air con so i don't think that is important issue.
    2. I also realised time to time i can smell petrol? i don't know if it from the other cars or what but i can definitely smell petrol in my car some times.
    3. If i remember correctly the EK tanks should hold 45L right? But when my arrow is near empty i only need to feel up 30L and i dont think it holds that much petrol as back up and i never got the petrol light on when the gauge is reading empty.

Also on my last refill i got 290km's on 30L on e91 to fill it up. Its not very good i was expecting/hoping to get around 400kms on 30L as i hear people getting 550kms on 40Litres. This is not as bad as my first car 97 mitsubishi verada that was running 25litres on 100kms and spent 1.5k to fix the problem but i never got it fixed and the reason i sold it.
    I'm thinking off changing both the o2 sensors in my ek right now as that is the only thing i can think of that maybe able to change the poor fuel economy. An extra question i also have is will any universal 02 sensor work for the d16y4 engines as i planning change both sensors myself (never done 02 sensor change before) or would i be better off getting a mechanic to change it? How much is it for 02 sensors?
    any replies will be appreciated. . again : )

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    for o2 sensor, as long as the are correct type, it should be interchangeable.
    1 wire or 4 wire sensor.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9 minus 8
    Quote Originally Posted by manonastick View Post
    Updates *
    I did abit of research and just driving i found a few things
    1. I figured the leak has something to do with the air con so i don't think that is important issue.
    2. I also realised time to time i can smell petrol? i don't know if it from the other cars or what but i can definitely smell petrol in my car some times.
    3. If i remember correctly the EK tanks should hold 45L right? But when my arrow is near empty i only need to feel up 30L and i dont think it holds that much petrol as back up and i never got the petrol light on when the gauge is reading empty.

Also on my last refill i got 290km's on 30L on e91 to fill it up. Its not very good i was expecting/hoping to get around 400kms on 30L as i hear people getting 550kms on 40Litres. This is not as bad as my first car 97 mitsubishi verada that was running 25litres on 100kms and spent 1.5k to fix the problem but i never got it fixed and the reason i sold it.
    I'm thinking off changing both the o2 sensors in my ek right now as that is the only thing i can think of that maybe able to change the poor fuel economy. An extra question i also have is will any universal 02 sensor work for the d16y4 engines as i planning change both sensors myself (never done 02 sensor change before) or would i be better off getting a mechanic to change it? How much is it for 02 sensors?
    any replies will be appreciated. . again : )
    ive got the exact same petrol consumption problem 300k on 30 L and it wont let me fill up 45L, might change the sensor soon its looks like a rusty mofo

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK
    try using higher octane petrol.. e91 is crud..
    at least 95 octane.
    i've noticed the needle on the civic doesn't read correctly fuel wise..
    you've probably got more fuel in there than whats showing..
    ||bye bye civic || hello awd turbo ||

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsrea View Post
    My EJ8 is also having problems with poor fuel consumption. I've travelled 174km and has used up half a tank already. My car is automatic and everything is stock. I just changed the fuel filter, spark plug, oil, oil filter and standard oem air filter. Even my brothers DC2 has better fuel consumption
    How much does an EJ8 hold? 30L or 40?
    ek,ej8 and em1 all use a 45 liter tank....

Im averaging around 10 liters per 100kms, but id consider that good simply due to having few basic bolt on mods atm.... any mods will increase ur fuel consumption
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    @mugen_ctr
    What mods are on your ej8? I would of thought a after market pod filter and a muffler would increase performance and economy. I didn't get time to try to change my 02 sensor this week so i have yet to see if the 02 sensor is the cause of the poor fuel economy.

Member Array
    lol this might sound stupid but check your fuel tank to see if its dented..

i had the same problem like yours with my ek when needle is on red i can only fill up to max 30 litres

found out my fuel tank is dented in by like 5cm right at the centre, so i could never fill up to the max.

next time you fill up just work out the Litres/100km that you're pulling, EK should be around 7-8 if driven sensibly,

so you know the deal:

- so drive it until needle hits red line
    - fill up until it clicks
    - reset your odometer,
    - drive it for at least 3/4 of tank,
    - fill up again until it clicks
    - note how many litres that was
    - note how many kms from your odometer for that amount of petrol your car drank

a few things you should check, always make sure:

- tire pressure is normal
    - air filter is clean
    - oxygen sensor is not fkd, get denso ones i got mine from ebay for cheap cheap

http://www.densoproducts.com/results...umber=234-4065 (should be the one for your car, go double check though)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DENSO-Oxy...0#ht_773wt_905

- spark plugs isnt too old (if its standard copper), if so change it and just buy standard copper ones, much cheaper than iridium

- ignition leads arent too old, i replaced my 12 year old leads on my integra, and so far noticed fuel consumption is better off by 0.5L/100km

- thermostat isnt fked. does your car take ages to warm up to hit optimum temperature? remember the engine uses more fuel when its cold.

thats all i could think of... fuel consumption had always been an issue for all the cars that i've bought, i ticked off all the above and now its running beatifully! =)

gl, sleep time for me
    naturally i finished my set.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG8 B16A2
    Quote Originally Posted by dahon View Post
    try using higher octane petrol.. e91 is crud..
    at least 95 octane.
    i've noticed the needle on the civic doesn't read correctly fuel wise..
    you've probably got more fuel in there than whats showing..
    actually, thats not true. a fuel with a higher RON rating has a higher temp/pressure at which it will combust. This is due to the presence of branched chains etc within the molecule which limit the availability of oxygen to the carbon atoms. So a fuel with a higher octane rating will help to prevent pre-ignition (knocking) in a high compression engine (hence its use in turbo cars), or with far advanced timing. It also burns slower and in a more controlled fashion.