Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by sebtoombs View Post
    actually, thats not true. a fuel with a higher RON rating has a higher temp/pressure at which it will combust. This is due to the presence of branched chains etc within the molecule which limit the availability of oxygen to the carbon atoms. So a fuel with a higher octane rating will help to prevent pre-ignition (knocking) in a high compression engine (hence its use in turbo cars), or with far advanced timing. It also burns slower and in a more controlled fashion.
    However if your car is tuned (standard or not) to run above 91 RON then you will certainly see a difference. I wouldn't use less than 95 personally, just how I roll and I 'save money' in more effective ways LOL

OP, just drive until your light comes on, then re-fill etc. My needle doesn't drop until I've done 130+ KMs. I usually get 450km before my light comes on.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG8 B16A2
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    However if your car is tuned (standard or not) to run above 91 RON then you will certainly see a difference. I wouldn't use less than 95 personally, just how I roll and I 'save money' in more effective ways LOL
    Yes, like I said, with far advanced timing. This will net you more power, but not better economy.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by sebtoombs View Post
    Yes, like I said, with far advanced timing. This will net you more power, but not better economy.
    on d-series they dont advance there timing automatically, thus only doing it by hand, therefore its pointless again, but i still use 95+ ron anyways, lol, cause if u want the best u have to treat it to the best

I found that my d-series performed much much better on 95 RON than 91, on 91 it felts a bit sluggish, and got less kms per a tank than 95
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    I've been driving a while on the needle pointing at empty and still haven't seen the low petrol light yet. Im on 370kms and still going.
    I don't know if this is good or not anyone mind sharing there average per 100km?

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EK1
    I drive my EK1 really really easy, a lot of highway driving and I get between 550 and 600 using 98 BP Ultimate. 98 may not show you huge increases in performance but you'll definately notice a difference between 98 and 91. And to be honest it's only a couple of dollars extra per tank. Mine take around 36L to fill from needle at empty to full. Works out to be around 6.5L/100KM

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by manonastick View Post
    I've been driving a while on the needle pointing at empty and still haven't seen the low petrol light yet. Im on 370kms and still going.
    I don't know if this is good or not anyone mind sharing there average per 100km?
    your fuel light might be busted like my old ek, becareful not to run it down til theres no fuel at all
    naturally i finished my set.

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EK1
    I think the Low Fuel Light not working is a pretty common problem in the EK. Mine has the same issue.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK
    sebtoombs: it all depends on what his engine is tuned for.
    and practically, after driving a D for the past 4 yrs, i'm sure at least 95RON will net better fuel consumption than e91. - you also have to factor the sluggishness (= more pedal = more gas)..

manonastick: bring a Jerry can with you, just in case..
    Last edited by dahon; 30-10-2011 at 11:19 PM.
    ||bye bye civic || hello awd turbo ||

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    Don't worry, the fuel light eventually came after driving 100kms needle pointing towards empty and i had to fill up at 400kms.
    Soo my average is currently 100km/ per 10l and im not really happy with this economy =/

Member Array
    Car:
    ED6
    Quote Originally Posted by anzai View Post
    your fuel light might be busted like my old ek, becareful not to run it down til theres no fuel at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Underoath87 View Post
    I think the Low Fuel Light not working is a pretty common problem in the EK. Mine has the same issue.
    just check my diy on how to check low fuel light , hope it help

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4
    Same problem but im pretty sure i've SOLVED it. I picked up my ek1 about 6 months ago and was getting pretty bad fuel economy between 8-10l/100km depending what kind of driving and how. I noticed the air filter was dirty so i chucked it and that made a little difference (little more economical and smoother), BUT!!! Im pretty sure i found the problem My thermostat. Car wasn't getting up to temperature and was running too rich which fouled my plugs and didn't burn the fuel efficiently so i changed the thermostat, plugs, and fuel filter and so far so good (its my first tank with the changes). I would fill up the tank plus the fuel filler cap so plus another 250-500ml and i would get about 350-400km until it was "empty" where i could only fill up about 35L. I would get about 30-60km until the needle dropped under the fill mark but so far i've gotten 90km and i didn't fill up the fuel filler cap!!! So its sounding quite promising. It might not be the same problem but its defiantly something worth checking out along with your plugs and fuel filter.

All the best!!