Smile Wheel fitment on 91 ED Civic

Hello All,

My friend is selling me a 15" mag wheel with offset of 25. The tyre profile is 20555R15. After I put it on I have a few questions.

1. I used a set of correct wheel nuts provided by my friend but during fitment it appeared that I could only secure the nuts to the threads less than half way in. Is this a problem in terms of safety (ie would the wheel come off when I am driving?).

2. I am assuming because of the extreme offset, the rear wheels are sitting outside the sidewall. In another word, the wheels stick out visibly. Would this be a problem? what is the risk?

3. I have not put all wheels on for test drive. Does anyone have experience or can imagine how would the car would perform in terms of handling? I am not expecting better handling but would it be a big compromise?

Thanks

Randall
    Last edited by ThEbLaCk; 18-10-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG8 B16A2
    I'm not quite sure what you mean in point 1, and I don't have much experience with different wheel setups re: handling. I should imagine you would have more grip though (obviously this is dependent on how good the tyres are as well) but it appears that the wheels are 8" wide (thats-i think- 2 inches wider than a stock wheel).

The only thing I know for sure is that if the wheels stick out further than the guard you may have problems legally. In Tassie, if the top of the sidewall extends further than the guard you're in trouble. Something to think about. Don't know exactly what your state's regulations are, but worth finding out.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    To even run that sort of wide rims on a ed, u will most likely need to run a camber kit to tuck in the tires/rims and also roll out the guards, but u didnt tell us how low the vehicle is, if so, stock ride height u can get away with, simply because when the suspension is under compression, the wheels will camber in

the wider the tire/rim, the more surface contact to the road, which means more grip, but tires play a major factor, choose the correct rubber compound for ur use, if u want the optimum size for that rim in terms of performance, than id opt for a 215/45r15, or even 225/50R15 for semi's, anything thats stretched tires creates less surface contact, less side wall flex which is a big no no in the world of performance and most important, ride comfort.

as far as real world goes, there are few ppl here runnin that wheel/rim combo
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    I'm assuming this is a 15x8 +25 ? or 15x7.5 +25 ?

That should be flush with your guards rather than poking out.

I have fit 15x9 -15 before on an ED, It stuck out a little bit.. You should be fine with +25
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

About point 1, the nuts is tighten to threads but not entire right in. because the rims sits quite out, the thread is not long enought for the nuts to hold on it. I am unsure if the nuts will get loose one day.

My car currently lower with superlow Kingspring. The rear and fron has about 3 fingers gap. Is it necessary to run camber kit? What would happen if I leave it as it apart from tire wear? will steering plays up as well?

It is 15x8. I want to post a picture but i don't know how. can anyone teach me how to post a picture please?
    Last edited by ThEbLaCk; 18-10-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    upload it to imageshack.us and post the forum link here.
    OEM parts whore

Ahhh so your studs arent long enough ? it'll be highly recommended to get longer studs man, but I still dont get how your studs are too short, must be how the rims designed. Sure its not on spacers ?
    Quote Originally Posted by dwn_boi View Post
    not quite sure how to spell but taste mad, its hard on the outside and creamy on the inside omfg so good

I can now only tighten the bolt maybe 15mm into the studs, oppose to stock tyre of 40mm into the studs

Here is the link to view my car with the rims. The height is explained and hopefully can see how much the tyres are sitting outside the sidewall.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...017204657.jpg/

Member Array
    Car:
    black EF
    first of all 205/55/15 is way too big for ed/ef, will cause wrong reading of speed for sure, they look shit too.
    u will need 195/50/15.
    for the offset 25, will be nice if the wheel is 15x6 -15x7
    anything wider than 15x7 +25, u may just roll the guard, and it all depends how low u going, the camber.
    hope tht help a bit.

Does anyone know what is the std offset on ed civic steel?

would anyone mind to post pic of ed civic of diff offset wheel at 15"?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    the stock alloys on my ED were 13x5" with 45 offset