Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz
    btw, is it a common problem in CVT?? how much will it cost me to fix it?? Or is it going to be a big issue if not done?

so it's CVT fluid in there... your transmission may need to be flushed (basically changing the CVT fluid twice), then you'll need to recalibrate the transmission. that will hopefully get rid of the noise. if not, your starter clutch may need to be changed.

probably best to consult your honda dealer as they would know more than me. they'll flush the cvt, and if the problem goes away, yay! otherwise you might need a new starter clutch. call up a few dealers for a quote for a CVT flush as some places may try to rip you off. you can also flush the cvt at home and save yourself some money, but CVT-F isnt cheap.

its a common problem on the jazz. i had the same problem with my previous jazz. got a manual now XD. fixed it by doing a CVT flush at home, which cost me $190 (8L of fluid). I got a quote from a local dealer of $260, and $330 at another one. I remember being told that CVT change fixed the problem most of the time.

it just gets louder over time. i don't know what happens after that XD. i didn't want anything to break so i fixed it asap.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    mine sounds like a diesel sometimes too, less noticable now, but it is if u stand outside when its idling.

but the rattle is more likely due to something else like tappets/ valve clearance or something i dunno.

but we cant just go blaming CVT because some of them shudder when you take off, i would be surprised if its even CVT related.

and as for service go to Honda they will use the right oil (higher price but if they screw up u can blame them becasue they are meant to know wtf they are doing)
    if it was any other car that didnt have CVT i would say go to a good mechanic.

just take it to honda fork out for the service, get all the oils and fluids replaced tell them about the noise and get the tappets adjusted.

also:
    How about S mode, does it still make the noise in S?
    my theoary is that the noise is louder because in D mode the engine is under more load then P/N

yeh i see what you mean. i actually had the CVT problem, which started out as a 'diesel' like noise, then got louder. it was noticeably different to the ticking noise from the engine

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz
    ok i might call up honda tmr and ask about the price.. .don't have in-house facility for oil change though... When the car is warmer, the noise became smaller. sigh...
    Last edited by zealot42; 19-10-2011 at 12:11 AM.

just describe the problem to them first and see what they say. it might not be a CVT problem at all...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz
    @l.ho Ye, honda homebush is right next to my place, I might just take the car down to show them how's it like.

@GU357 Thank you for the advices man! I just went out for a drive. The shuddering mostly happen around 1000-1300rpm and after that it's hard to notice (maybe the cabin noise); In S-mode, it slightly lighter but I can definitely notice the difference.

If I don't fix this issue in a short-run, am I likely to face bigger issue? Is it still safe to drive the car right now? As I described in the beginning, the noise just developed a week ago and I can still drive it very smoothly without any hassles though.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by zealot42; 19-10-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by zealot42 View Post
    @l.ho Ye, honda homebush is right next to my place, I might just take the car down to show them how's it like.

@GU357 Thank you for the advices man! I just went out for a drive. The shuddering mostly happen around 1000-1300rpm and after that it's hard to notice (maybe the cabin noise); In S-mode, it slightly lighter but I can definitely notice the difference.

If I don't fix this issue in a short-run, am I likely to face bigger issue? Is it still safe to drive the car right now? As I described in the beginning, the noise just developed a week ago and I can still drive it very smoothly without any hassles though.

Thanks guys!
    The reason the shudder is at those revs is because thats when the clutch is disengaging, the shudder is caused by wear to the clutch, so whilst you go to accelerate from a halt the clutch slips/shudders after you take off and your firmly on your way (ie 20km/h or something) the clutch is already completely off.

mine still does it, its not a real probem it just sounds a bit wierd, my jazz is the 03 VTi with 120k kms on it i think and its still pushing strong. just put a nice exhaust on and you wont notice it.

but if you need your major service i would go in at about 65000 kms and tell them the problem whilst your at it, suggest the tappets.

you should be fine

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by GU357 View Post
    The reason the shudder is at those revs is because thats when the clutch is disengaging, the shudder is caused by wear to the clutch, so whilst you go to accelerate from a halt the clutch slips/shudders after you take off and your firmly on your way (ie 20km/h or something) the clutch is already completely off.

mine still does it, its not a real probem it just sounds a bit wierd, my jazz is the 03 VTi with 120k kms on it i think and its still pushing strong. just put a nice exhaust on and you wont notice it.

but if you need your major service i would go in at about 65000 kms and tell them the problem whilst your at it, suggest the tappets.

you should be fine
    Thanks man. I was reading through the owner's manual this afternoon. It didn't have any service item until 70,000kms... Should I still do it? Thanks

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    in that case if it doenst need it till then take it in at the 70 000 mark then, like i said i had the problem before it was quite loud then after the service it was much less noticable. i think its normal to an extent.

have fun with the jazz, enjoy it. im lovin mine

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by GU357 View Post
    in that case if it doenst need it till then take it in at the 70 000 mark then, like i said i had the problem before it was quite loud then after the service it was much less noticable. i think its normal to an extent.

have fun with the jazz, enjoy it. im lovin mine

Yes, I agree! Thank you, man! You guys are awesome, being really helpful for a newcomer! Cheers!