Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    The jazz is configured so that the engine is mounted to the CVT and then the clutch disconnects the CVT from the wheels ie, Engine>CVT>Clutch>wheels.
    The jazz's clutch is multi-plate and built into the CVT (i believe) which means it has the CVT fluid running through it all the time, if the fluid is not right then it will cause damage.
    some ppl say that Honda put the wrong transmission oil in their car and that, which would definately damage things but so far as i know Honda has not declared the actual cause.

in regards to fixing the CVT shudder i believe that requires a new clutch, Honda estimated me $1600 for a new clutch incl fitting, in the long run its probably worth it, but you never know if the CVT problem is ever fixed because the real reason for how the shudder came to be is unknown (there is only speculation), so it is possible fro the shudder to re-appear. if u can afford it ask them to flush the transmission using the Honda CVT-f fluid (im pretty sure its called CVT-f, makes sure they don't use regular automatic fluid).
    if a flush is too expensive (which is understandable because its isn't cheap) then you could buy the fluid off them and just empty it and refill it yourself, or again get them to do it.

some ppl will also recommend having the CVT oil changed every 10 000kms (or every service - depending how far they are apart).

but i dont believe the ticking noise is due to the actual CVT itself, it might be another problem caused by the CVT, like an extra vibration causing something to shake somewhere else.
    most likely tappets, once youve had them checked and they adjust them or whatever needs doing and its still there we will look for alternatives, it might just be normal and you have never noticed it (unlikely).

but either way its not immediately dangerous - my car has had it for a while and with that logic would brake down/ blow up because of it before yours, so if that happens ill let you know.

honda originally used standard ATF (red) when CVT-F wasnt developed, and people started having issues with their starter clutch. the initial solution was to replace the starter clutch under warranty, but changing the transmission fluid to CVT-F later became the preferred solution (much cheaper). i remember reading somewhere on ozhonda that there was a free transmission fluid change (a few years ago) for jazzes still under warranty.

a few months ago i called up my local dealer and managed to talk to one of the technicians about the cvt shudder. he said that changing the transmission fluid had fixed problem every time, and the need to change the starter clutch was quite rare. the standard procedure was to flush the fluid, then if the problem reappeared, flush again. if that didnt work, the starter clutch needed replacing. he told me the shudder was due to contaminants on the starter clutch arising from 'old' CVT-F.

you should open your bonnet to check where the noise is coming from. if its from the engine, then you will most likely need a valve adjustment (tappets). if its from under the airbox (i.e. from the transmission), then its most likely the transmission. also have someone hold down the brake and select 'D' to replicate the noise. (im not actually sure if this will help, but its worth a try :P)

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    yes i remember hearing something like that, and even though the wear had already damaged the clutch Honda tried to tell us it wasnt there fault and gave it a flush, when it was brought up again Honda admitted it be there fault but then refused to fix it because warranty expired the month before.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by GU357 View Post
    yes i remember hearing something like that, and even though the wear had already damaged the clutch Honda tried to tell us it wasnt there fault and gave it a flush, when it was brought up again Honda admitted it be there fault but then refused to fix it because warranty expired the month before.
    LOL my warranty ran out already... I took it to my mechanic yesterday and he rekon it's normal gear engagement sound and tell me not panic on this... However, to ensure that, I'm taking it to Honda local dealer to have a look. I'm getting the CVT-F changed next service day, and also getting Oil Extreme additive as it's used by many Singapore Jazz owners to eliminate the problem, considering they have a quite similar climate condition comparing with us.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by l.ho View Post
    honda originally used standard ATF (red) when CVT-F wasnt developed, and people started having issues with their starter clutch. the initial solution was to replace the starter clutch under warranty, but changing the transmission fluid to CVT-F later became the preferred solution (much cheaper). i remember reading somewhere on ozhonda that there was a free transmission fluid change (a few years ago) for jazzes still under warranty.

a few months ago i called up my local dealer and managed to talk to one of the technicians about the cvt shudder. he said that changing the transmission fluid had fixed problem every time, and the need to change the starter clutch was quite rare. the standard procedure was to flush the fluid, then if the problem reappeared, flush again. if that didnt work, the starter clutch needed replacing. he told me the shudder was due to contaminants on the starter clutch arising from 'old' CVT-F.

you should open your bonnet to check where the noise is coming from. if its from the engine, then you will most likely need a valve adjustment (tappets). if its from under the airbox (i.e. from the transmission), then its most likely the transmission. also have someone hold down the brake and select 'D' to replicate the noise. (im not actually sure if this will help, but its worth a try :P)
    I did try to manipulate the noise, sometimes good sometimes bad... It's more likely to appear when the car was cold.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by zealot42 View Post
    I did try to manipulate the noise, sometimes good sometimes bad... It's more likely to appear when the car was cold.
    when its runnig everything warms up and is in the right shape so vibrations are bound to reduce, ontop of that when cold the jazz revs higher (around 1500RPM) when the engine warms up the revs drop (to around 1000)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz
    Cheers =] i will update this after i visit a dealer

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    yeh, that would be best, as there is no point going any sooner then the next service.