Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC4 Issue

DC4 Issue

When I push the accelerator about 1/4 down, I start hearing a noise that sounds like kinda like paper hitting a pedestal fan. It doesn't happen when I'm in neutral (rolling or stationary).

Known issues with the car:
    -Need new fuel filter
    -Minor sump leak.
    -Fairly sure I could use a new exhaust
    -Reverse doesn't always engage first try...or second...or third try

The car also began shaking in an unusual fashion when I was in fourth going up a steep hill at 60 (the time where you should change to third). Normally it just slows down more and more, but today...it was scary, to say the least.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? Note that I'm not the richest man and can't afford to pay a mechanic for 2 weeks of labour (grrrrr) trying to find the issue. Assuming I'm confident enough to drive to a mechanic.

Does the noise increase as engine RPM Increases? Even in neutral?

In neutral I only get the usual exhaust rattle - need to replace some bolts - the noise doesn't increase as the RPM increases, but it -does- increase if I push the accelerator further - this happens no matter what RPM range I'm at.

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla Spec S
    engine mounts?

(noob moment)
    These are the mounts?
    http://i.imgur.com/zKRqM.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/WgyYg.jpg

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla Spec S
    thats correct

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla Spec S
    with reverse not engadging try putting it into first gear first.. then into reverse

Yeah that's how I normally get it working. That or I ask her nicely.

What am I supposed to be checking for on the engine mounts?

auto or manual

Manual

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    Rock the engine and see if theres movement, if there is significant movement ur engine mounts could be cracked. Inspect all 3 engine mounts to see if the rubber is cracked
    snapping 2nd..

Just grabbed the engine and gave it a bit of a shake. Moves the whole car when I do it.

Edit: Just fired up the engine and gave it a bit of a rev - the passenger side mount shakes a bit. I can pull the rubber away from the metal part of the mount - it's in one piece - shouldn't it be a bit tighter?
    Last edited by CaptainHeff; 25-10-2011 at 01:15 PM.