Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: welding spacers

Member Array
    Car:
    DB6

welding spacers

hey guys i know slip on spacers are dangerious and void the insurance

so i was wondering what if i got extended studs, got slip on spacers (hubcentric) and welded it to my brake disc, would it then be SAFE, & LEGAL ? im just wanting to slip on 8mm on or 10mm

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    the heating process involved in welding compromises the integrity of steel, not only would a modification like this be illegal unless performed by and signed off by an engineer, its just dangerous...
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

OzHonda engineers......

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    if u have extended studs, ur slip on spcers will be safe.. i would suggest to make sure ur spacers have a centerbore though

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    it's likely the welding would warp the rotor

Spacers are actually a bad idea and are illegal for a good reason.

I personally ran spacers on a car of mine and it caused one of the studs to snap off, this was under very normal driving conditions too.

Be very cautious when using them!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    And share with us what brand u have? I been running h&r and ran both slip on and bolt on by h&r for past 2 years and three track days. No worries at all. I know a few time attack cars running them. At the end of the day. U get what u pay for.

They were slip on, not sure what brand only 2-3mm though.

Bolt on's can be fine but slip on's can be dangerous.

just get better offset wheels. problem solved ! lol

Member Array
    Car:
    DB6
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    the heating process involved in welding compromises the integrity of steel, not only would a modification like this be illegal unless performed by and signed off by an engineer, its just dangerous...
    ohh okay then. this mate sound stupid ? do they make brake disk where its meets the wheel like extended ? if you get what i mean, im planning to upgrade brake in the future anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    OzHonda engineers......
    yeahs.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ckless View Post
    if u have extended studs, ur slip on spcers will be safe.. i would suggest to make sure ur spacers have a centerbore though
    but wouldnt be legal right ? voids insurance ?

Quote Originally Posted by markismaximus View Post
    it's likely the welding would warp the rotor
    ohh okay thanks

Quote Originally Posted by son of eevil View Post
    Spacers are actually a bad idea and are illegal for a good reason.

I personally ran spacers on a car of mine and it caused one of the studs to snap off, this was under very normal driving conditions too.

Be very cautious when using them!
    Quote Originally Posted by son of eevil View Post
    They were slip on, not sure what brand only 2-3mm though.

Bolt on's can be fine but slip on's can be dangerous.
    ahh okay wasnt planning to run them cheap 20$ ones. was planning to get the ones where its made to fit

Quote Originally Posted by r3ckless View Post
    And share with us what brand u have? I been running h&r and ran both slip on and bolt on by h&r for past 2 years and three track days. No worries at all. I know a few time attack cars running them. At the end of the day. U get what u pay for.
    nice will look into them (Y)

Quote Originally Posted by vtecster View Post
    just get better offset wheels. problem solved ! lol
    cant, enkei rpf1 in 4 stud comes in 35 and i cant afford 5 stud conversion as ill need it towards engine conversion

If spacers are sooo dangerous then how come porche have fitted them to their cars standard? It's all in the ones you get, if they're decent quality or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_x View Post
    If spacers are sooo dangerous then how come porche have fitted them to their cars standard? It's all in the ones you get, if they're decent quality or not.
    It's simple physics. If you open a door using the handle it's easy, if you push near the hinge it's harder.

Move the weight closer to the outside of the bolt and they bolt carrying more stress, amplify that if you like doing zippy corners.

Porsche would do it because their engineers would have factored the spacers into the design.

Believe what you want though, I'm telling you though, that running spacers caused one of my bolts to snap under normal driving conditions, I took them off after that and changed my wheels, didn't happen again.