[CL9] APP Sensor / drive by wire problem

Long time reader, first time poster. 04 Euro Manual.

Have a problem with either APP Sensor or DBW Unit.

During drive the 2 VSA lights illuminate and engine light comes on. accelerator then becomes rather unresponsive (as part of VSA i guess). If i turn the car off and on it goes away but its still annoying.

I took it to Honda dealer approx. 9 months ago, hooked it up to Honda computer and it returned fault codes related to to APP sensor. then they cleared the codes, took it for a spin and wasted half a tank and $220 for the diagnosis and told me its all good and if it happens again i need to replace the sensor at $400 and if that doesnt work the DBW unit at $650.

9 months went and no problems, no all of a sudden, 3 weeks after i had the clutch replaced its come back, worse than ever. It would be happening on a daily basis. Has anyone seen this before? is this something that can only be done by a Honda dealer?

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    see if you can give us the OBD2 code and we'll try to trouble shoot it.

EDIT:
    lol.... APP sensor was on back order in the States earlier this year
    http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803593
    Last edited by Fredoops; 24-10-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Honda dealers are not that good at diagnosing, especially when you are out of warranty and they want your $$$.

The APP sensor is a variable resistor. If you don't mind risking your car, you can DIY it and clean the sensor (check if there is corrosion on the variable resistor part. Otherwise you can source it yourself:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...r+pedal+sensor

DIY: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730958
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

thanks for the links, im going to DIY it. fingers crossed, ill post back after the operation

alright purchased the sensor for $130 + $45 freight from the states. for anyone interested its part number 37971-RBB-003

See how i go tonight, otherwise it may have to wait a bit. oddly i havent had any issues for about a week but i would rather not risk it and do it out of precaution

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    Aiutn : Have you recieved your APP sensor and installed it yet ?

I too am in the same boat as you (kind of good to hear im not the only one).

My issue started back in August of 2010.
    The issue occurs once a while driving on normal roads but everytime if im on a freeway/highway (only way to get around it is to engage cruise control)

I'm now used to the car stalling and going into limp mode.
    It was only recently that i discovered alot of owners in the USA have been experiencing the same problem, here in Australia it still seems pretty rare.

Usually the car only stalls once, and you can sense when it is going to happen because it feels like im stabbing at the accelator and there is a hesitation whie in actual fact im accelerating at a constant pedal pressure.

I've ordered my replacement APP sensor and is still in transit.
    I hope the replacement will solve this issue for me, it seems 95% successful for the TSX drivers.

The stalling has just got a whole lot worse.
    The car now stalls multiple times (not just the once like it usually does).
    On a drive into the city it stalled five times.
    On the drive home it was worse, stalling approx twenty times.

At its worst, After stalling, i'd pull over, wait for a while, re-start the car, watch the VSA and engine light disappear, apply the accelerator, feel a CLUNK, then stall again.
    At times i only got 200m down the road before it stalled again.

So frustrating.

Will update this thread once i have installed my APP sensor, until then i can't drive the car.
    2004 CL9 - SSR Professor MS1R/Federal 595 RS-R/Tein SS/Injen CAI/Whiteline RSB
    2006 FD1 - K&N Typhoon intake
    2012 Holden Commodore SV6 ute

yes, received the APP sensor in a little over a week from oemacuraparts.com

install was relatively easy, remove the throttle cable, take the bracket which the sensor is on off and disconect the cable undeneath. (this cable can ge a little tricky to clip off from the bracket - i had to use force. then unscrew the old sensor and screw in the new one. If you know what your doing you can do it in as little as 20 minutes. luckily the sensor is in a great spot under the hood. once re-installed make sure the tension on the throttle cable is good and you are good to go.

It has so far solved my problem. I took it out for a spin up the freeway and gave it a good road test and so far so good.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    To confirm, replacing the APP sensor has resolved my stall and hestitating issues.

I've had no stalling/limp mode in the past two weeks, and can now drive on a highway/motorway using my accelerator, without the use of cruise control
    2004 CL9 - SSR Professor MS1R/Federal 595 RS-R/Tein SS/Injen CAI/Whiteline RSB
    2006 FD1 - K&N Typhoon intake
    2012 Holden Commodore SV6 ute