Member Array

4 years old tyre with lots of meat

hey guys, the rear passenger tires on mums car had 2 punctures and as they are about 5cm to each other apparently its not safe to repair it. is this a legit claim?

so the guys at the shop suggested replacing tires, also due to the fact that they are 4 year old tires, even when they have 50%+ meat left (car only driven to work about 2 km from home). again is this a legit claim?

i've never had this problem as i often buy new tires for my wheels, and ive owned 2 cars over the 3 years. never thought old tires could rot over time. you learn something new everyday.

cheers
    naturally i finished my set.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1 Civic
    Yeh bro tyres have expiry dates so even if they have lots of meat but if they are old they become hard and brittle and may fail from cracking. I'd say 4 years is still usable, it is when they start getting 5+ years then you should start to think about replacing.

As for the two punctures not really too sure but if they think it will be too weak to repair then they won't do it. I had a puncture recently quite close to the sidewall and went to 2 different shops and they were unwilling to repair claiming that it was too weak.

If they arn't willing to repair you could probably just go for the cheaper option and get 2 new tyres for now and replace the other 2 at a later time.
    Last edited by FDBenni; 29-10-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    shouldnt compromise when it comes to tyres in my opinion
    here is a link that may help...http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...235-Aged-Tyres
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]

Quote Originally Posted by riruiz_88 View Post
    shouldnt compromise when it comes to tyres in my opinion
    here is a link that may help...http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...235-Aged-Tyres
    That's some good information there!

I'd rep you if I knew how!

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>Crx Delsol
    There is thin wires running through the middle part of the tyres, but on the sidewall is all rubber or whatever theyre made. So if the puncture is in the middle of the tyre doesnt matter how far or close they are theyre repairable. If its close or on the sidewall its not fixable.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by son of eevil View Post

you click the sherriff badge icon down the bottom left of his details.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by son of eevil View Post

dont bother man haha. aint gonna add any points.
    but on topic, i thought that tire age only really matters for trucks as they carry tonnes of load and they re-tread tires?