Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is parking on dirt bad for tyres?

My car lives on dirt down the side of my house, and I was wondering if this could, over time, lead to tyre degradation? As I work away from home, the car could sometimes sit for over a week without being moved.

I'm worried because I have recently purchased some nice soft rubber (140 treadwear) and I don't want them destroyed. UV exposure is not an issue because the car is covered.

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    if you are worried about the tyres, just get 4 pieces of wood, and put them under the wheels. Also if you park the car for 1 week, disconnect the battery terminals.

Bit time consuming to get pieces of wood placed every time you park?

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    If you are going to be away for longer than 2wks,

i would recommend emptying your Fuel tank and store it in a large capacity container.

failing to do so, will cause the engine to run like crap and possibly requiring an injector clean due to the old/expired fuel/ residue.

i believe this is also stated in the Honda's Service Manual.
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Quote Originally Posted by NightKids View Post
    Bit time consuming to get pieces of wood placed every time you park?
    if he park on the same place everytime, so it is not a problem at all. Even, it is not gonna take him more than 1-2 mins.

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by hmetro24 View Post
    if he park on the same place everytime, so it is not a problem at all. Even, it is not gonna take him more than 1-2 mins.
    Exactly, just find some large sheets of MDF or similar and put them on the ground where you usually park!
    And as far as disconnecting your battery/draining your fuel tank.. That is rediculous!
    It is not a 2stroke. Regular fuel has a LONG shelf life, a high performance engine will notice old fuel moreso than a regular car anyway.. You will be perfectly fine in your Integra.

Quote Originally Posted by IV73CI View Post
    If you are going to be away for longer than 2wks,
    i would recommend emptying your Fuel tank and store it in a large capacity container.
    Seriously!? Holy crap - ignore this completely man.
    If anything you'd want to fill the tank full so as to remove airpockets that could cause rust. Drain abit of fuel to let some water that may have accumulated.
    2 weeks is nothing - I'd be doing this only if leaving the car for more than a couple of months.

The danger with soft tyres on dirt is that little worms will create little holes in the tyres reducing their durability...NOT.

Its fine parking on dirt...Its grass i'd be worried about because grass gives off moisture and oxygen which could encourage rust.
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    i left my car in garage for 6 weeks, it starts fine and goes fine after i reconnect battery.
    petrol do build sludge/residue when left unused but we're talking months. not weeks for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    petrol do build sludge/residue when left unused but we're talking months. not weeks for sure.
    Which if you add some fuel stabiliser should be fine.
    MFactory Competition Products

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    If the car sits for just 1-2 weeks, your 140 treadwear tyres will be fine. I do the same and I also have 140 treadwear tyres.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    If youre leaving it over 1 week and concerned,invest in a dehumidifying chamber for peace of mind.Nothing is too good for your Honda remember

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    you're probably asleep right now but I love you and you're the most beautiful girl I met, inside and out. have a good nights sleep and I hope this puts a smile on your face when you wake up.