Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    S2K

VTI-R Not starting!

Hi All;

Decided to fix up a VTIR that was intended for wrecking, only slight front end damage - although the airbag popped etc... It ran, I drove it home but it won't start now.. Any ideas of what it could be? I have checked the following:

- PGMFI relay - purges fuel when key is ON position
    - Distributor has spark
    - It ran previously, on a brand new battery - took a while to crank it before it turned over, but it did and it ran..
    - Some times when i try to crank it, i would hear a POP - like it wanted to start, but it didn't..
    - The clutch is slipping pretty bad, but I don't think this affects the starting right?

Any ideas of what it could be? I will check for check codes soon as all SRS/ABS/CHECK lights are on lol long story... But hubs are non-abs, that's why abs is on, srs is on probably because of steering wheel popped, Check light - I presume it was because it was missing O2 sensor, which I have replaced. But I haven't reset it or anything like that, I wanted to know whether any of this will affect the car's start.

I sort of suspect a weak ground somewhere, but this hasn't been changed prior the accident so it was running sweet.

Im all out of ideas, so I thought I'd ask the pro's..

Thanks in advanced.

Peace.

Check your battery, check back here.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    ^^^ thanks for quick response. Brand new battery. It cranks, just doesn't want to start...

Open up 1 spark plug and hold it against metal, get someone else to crank it, see if it physically has spark from the spark plug.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    ^^^ Have done so, there is spark.

open fuel filter hose/injectors see if you're actually getting fuel pressure.

Open up the distributor and make visual checks.

After this, it's just tedious fault finding.

edit - try another working ECU.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    Should i just open the fuel filter and then prime it and see if it shoots fuel everywhere?

What type of visual checks needed for the distributor? Make sure that it's not dirty and that the rotor is in good condition?

What are the common faults that cause B18's not to start?

I'll try to get my hands on another ECU and test it after I get the check codes.

Thanks for your input!

I've had a melted rotor button happen to me, sparking, but not the right timing.
    ICM, Coil,

Check that fuel pressure like you describe.

I'm no expert, just trying to help.

Just work your way through, eliminating different things.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    Cool, any other suggestions? I'm sure this has happened to someone before... I bet it's something small..

You need to check the codes.

Pretty much, ignition + air + fuel = combustion.

See if you get any codes to pinpoint the fault.

If you haven't played with a factory setup, shouldn't be too hard.

ECU sends signal to distributor>leads>plugs....

Fuel>pump>lines>filter>injectors....

Tedious..... but its the only way.

Wish I had a magic wand sometimes....

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    Yeah, I guess I'll just check for fault codes and then see how that goes... I'm thinking the alarm system might have something to do with it.... Might rip it out today, and try to return all wires to factory. Yeah the car's pretty stock... THanks for your help so far, I"ll be sure to update once I find the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by zhong View Post
    Cool, any other suggestions? I'm sure this has happened to someone before... I bet it's something small..
    always the last thing you check