Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Member Array
    Car:
    '06 Euro Std 5A
    You only hear about the people who do have problem with DSG boxes so it's hard to get a fair idea just from reading on the internet.

Not for or against VW here, just thinking rationally.
    '06 Accord Euro Std
    Stock standard =|

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    You only hear about the people who do have problem with DSG boxes so it's hard to get a fair idea just from reading on the internet.

Not for or against VW here, just thinking rationally.
    Not just VW..... Evo's, GTR's, Fords.....
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    plus, the double cluch boxes are fcuked to use on the street. Ever tried reverse parking one? Now try up a slight slope.

in a manual you can slip it a bit, and know how much pedal pressure to give it, but the double clutch has no idea, so it heats them up like a mofo.

plus, going first/reverse/first/reverse ****s the box after a while, and most people would do that a lot i imagine.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    07' CL9 Lux 5AT
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    plus, the double cluch boxes are fcuked to use on the street. Ever tried reverse parking one? Now try up a slight slope.
    Seconded. The lag time experienced whilst the gearbox decides how much to slip the clutch sh*ts me to no end. You get a quicker off the line response from a conventional auto slushbox, no joke. They're great on the open road, but in stop start traffic, forget about it. If you want a manual, get a manual. If you can't figure out the 3rd pedal, get an IS-F which has full torque converter lockup between 2nd and 8th gear and reportedly works just as quickly as a DSG without any of the drawbacks!

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Quote Originally Posted by jono_l View Post
    If you can't figure out the 3rd pedal, get an IS-F which has full torque converter lockup between 2nd and 8th gear and reportedly works just as quickly as a DSG without any of the drawbacks!
    Quicker than just about all DSG boxes actually! The converter lock up only happens in manual mode, which sucks a bit. Would be better if it happened in just with the sport mode button.

Member Array
    Car:
    07' CL9 Lux 5AT
    Quote Originally Posted by Type R Positive View Post
    Quicker than just about all DSG boxes actually! The converter lock up only happens in manual mode, which sucks a bit. Would be better if it happened in just with the sport mode button.
    It was actually suggested to me that the torque converter lockup actually does happen in sport mode, but it will pull timing during the shift for a smoother shift (unlike manual mode). I could very well be mistaken though; my memory isn't what it used to be. I may actually get a chance in the near future to try it out for myself - am keeping fingers crossed for that one!
    Last edited by jono_l; 12-11-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Quote Originally Posted by jono_l View Post
    It was suggested to me that the torque converter lockup actually does happen in sport mode, but it will pull timing during the shift for a smoother shift (unlike manual mode). I may actually get a chance in the near future to try it out for myself though - am keeping fingers crossed for that one!
    No, manual mode only. Heres a bit of info on the auto: http://cfile230.uf.daum.net/attach/1...4CE6A8A804797C

It's more than worth driving it mate. Make sure you try out all modes, there's a big difference between everything. It's nice and sedate in drive, hit sport and everything gets sharper, it'll hold gears longer, and response is improved. Flick it in manual, and it's full animal. But the thing that will get you is the sound!