Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine noise?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8

engine noise?

Just connected my rear speakers, an i hear a faint engine whine, its not loud, but when idling its noticeable, an annoying to say the least.

This only happened when i plugged in the rear speaker RCA cable, yet when i take out the rear rca cables, the fronts splits or speakers have no engine noise what so eve.

channels 1 & 2 - 6" splits

channels 3 & 4 - 6 by 9

So im not sure if its the actual RCA cable itself or some other....

Ive re checked all the wiring, and connections, nothing is loose, so it doesnt add up :S

RCA and speakers run on the RHS, power LHS

Currently running a 4 channel amp an mono.....

what im a doing wrong here?
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    if ur using cheapo rcas sometimes u can never get rid of them. first check there is no cuts or or damage on the rca cables or run a new rca if u got a spare. run a thicker earth cable on the amp that runs the rear speakers and make sure the earth point is bare metal and connected to the chassis.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Swap your front rcas with your rear(on the amp and headunit) and see if it makes the fronts whine instead of the rear, if it does then its a problem with your rca's. If you swap them and it still whines on the rear then check the grounding for the headunit and amp.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    cheers guys, will have to look into what has been said, The earth cable seems ok, double checked it, solid ground but doest hurt to re check it again.

RCA cables is what i suspect atm, but wont know for sure till i swap em over
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Did you reuse the negative from the wiring loom for the headunit? i usually ground the headunit to the metal inside the dash so i know its got a good connection. may be worth trying if its not your rcas as it doesnt take long and you will have the deck out while your swapping rcas anyway

Also if your rcas arnt damaged but are causing engine whine they could be run to close to other soruces of power(this can cause engine whine) so it may just be the rcas are poorly sheilded and/or run too close to other wires.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DA9
    if u are using a pioneer head unit,
    its common
    u nkow what u can try and it will help i assure you.

Get a copper wire put them around the RCA's make sure they are touching EVERY female rca socket on your head unit and ground them to any screw on the back of the head unit.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    Did you reuse the negative from the wiring loom for the headunit? i usually ground the headunit to the metal inside the dash so i know its got a good connection. may be worth trying if its not your rcas as it doesnt take long and you will have the deck out while your swapping rcas anyway

Also if your rcas arnt damaged but are causing engine whine they could be run to close to other soruces of power(this can cause engine whine) so it may just be the rcas are poorly sheilded and/or run too close to other wires.
    I dont believe its the wiring from the hu or the grounding from it, as ive never had trouble till i plugged the rear speakers in, so im gonna rule that one out

Quote Originally Posted by slimx View Post
    if u are using a pioneer head unit,
    its common
    u nkow what u can try and it will help i assure you.

Get a copper wire put them around the RCA's make sure they are touching EVERY female rca socket on your head unit and ground them to any screw on the back of the head unit.
    cheers man, will defs try it, I am using a pioneer HU
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

when you ran the rca's from the head unit, did you run them above or bellow the steering collum? if you ran them above, they will be close to your fuse panel.
    might be the reason why there whining

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Just an update, i got fed up with trying to find the actual source of problem, so ended up getting Noise cancelling filter, and wollah! its gone

Though some say its a bandaid solution, i think it does the job well
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla Spec S
    just out of interest what head unit are you running?

you could also try grounding the rca outputs on the back of the headunit like this

pioneer headunits seem to have this problem
    peteju captures, like us on facebook..

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Pioneer HU, i think one of the older models with the moving bit graphics, 3 rca out puts.

Wasnt recently i connected the rear rca that the problem occurred
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla Spec S
    crappy soldering of the grounds in the rca outputs leads to this

usually happens when you plug in and remove the rcas a few times as well

at least u solved your problem
    peteju captures, like us on facebook..