Wheels very heavy to turn after New Steering Rack

Hi,

I recently replaced the Steering Rack on my 2006 Accord Euro under warranty - because of noises it was making when wheel was turned (loud squeaking noises).

Job was done at the dealership, took 2 days, and i was shown the cost was about $1300 for the Steering Rack (covered under warranty). They said there was nothing i needed to do.

Immediately when i drove away from the dealership, i noticed the steering wheel was ALOT harder / stiff to turn (compared to before the Steering Rack replacement). I called back the dealership immediately telling them of this, and was assured it was normal because the rack is new.

Its been 2 days since, and still the same. I'd like to know if what the dealer said was really true ?

If it is harder / stiff due to the new rack, then how long / kms of driving would be required for the steering wheel to loosen up a little ? (cos right now the heaviness is bordering unpleasant... )

Thanks very much.

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux
    sounds like there's in air in the steering which is causing a lack of pressure.. probably wasn't bled properly.

and don't racks normally feel lighter as they age?
    Mods: Pioneer Double DIN GPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Buddyclub N+ Spec, Topspeed Headers, Skunk2 Catback Exhaust

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 x2
    Either there is air in the system or the pre-load wasn't adjusted correctly on the new steering rack.
    Take it back to them and say your not happy with it.
    hondadynamiks - ADELAIDE

keep at them dude. Keep complaining - if you truly believe it isnt the same as it was before - you have a right to keep complaining until they fix it or explain a fix.

BTW check your air pressure too - it maybe alittle low creating drag and more effort in steering

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 x2
    I work at a dealer and have replaced alot of steering racks on euros and they always feel very very close to the same as the original one, only without the noise on full lock turns at low speeds. So there is definitely something wrong.. If they keep saying it's normal and your not happy then you can always make a complaint to Honda Australia. Only if it comes to it but the options there. They will send someone from the technical department to come and check your car.
    hondadynamiks - ADELAIDE

Thanks very much guys.

I've contacted Honda Australia, who just directed me to the dealer's service manager. He agreed to re-inspect my car next Monday about the heavy / stiff steering wheel.

Still, i'm concerned that the outcome will be "oh this heaviness is expected" - and then i'd need to get another opinion.