Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R

Air-Con = Massive Power Loss

Hey guys. I've been searching this forum to answer my question, but I'm not getting very far.

I have a 1995 DC2 Integra VTi-R with the standard engine (B18C2). The air conditioner works well; it's cold and it cools the car down pretty quickly. The problem is that the car becomes a lot slower to rev up once it's been turned on. The problem will still persist after the air-con has been turned off. To get it back to normal, I have to turn the car off and start it again. I've only used the air-con twice since I bought this car (9 months ago). I understand there would be a small power loss with the air-con, but I'm getting a large loss and it continues to run slowly even 15 minutes after the air-con is turned off. I'm not getting any engine check lights either.

Thanks for your help guys. The weather is starting to warm up and the lady-friend hates the windows down haha (ruins hair).

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Could be a massive range of things.

losing power sounds like the bearings inside the compressor are starting to fail, takes the engine more power to turn the compressor.

Staying around after you turn it off, that sounds like a switch or solenoid issue.

To be honest, its a bit of a difficult problem to try and solve over the internet, and one that you probably wont be able to fix yourself, even if you do know the answer.

Id take it to an Auto Electrician/Auto Air Con place and get it looked at.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    hey Cr0wbar,

first step to figure out your problem is to download service manual. use the manual to troubleshoot specifically in AC section.
    then buy a multimeter as you would need it to troubleshoot.
    i had same experience as you, lots of power loss but i thought it was because my small displacement engine (1.5ltr).

http://www.spoonertuner.com/manuals

and lastly, welcome abourd!!
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTI-R
    Thanks for the fast responses guys. I'll take a look at the link provided by Mocchi (thanks for that). If I don't have much luck then you're probably right, Trism. I'll take it to get looked at. Having bought the car in Autumn, I never needed air-con. I can't remember having this problem when I was test driving the car.
    Welcome abourd? Hahaha I know my status says newcomer but I've been here for a while :P

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    I think i have the same problem as well, But mines a ek1 =/