Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro '04

[CL9] In search of horsepower

I've had my 04 Euro for over a year now, left it stock except for sound system. Love it heaps, but now looking to put some more horses under the hood.

I'm sure its covered already somewhere, but thought I'd raise it -- what's best value mod(s) for the CL9's K24A2 engine?

http://www.importtuner.com/powerpage...tsx/index.html

Looks like these folks say CAI is the way to go. Then headers and ECU? ANy specifc order work better?

Would be great to hear it from those who've done one,or all 3..

tks

Member Array
    Car:
    04 CL9, 11 323i
    1. COLD AIR INTAKE
    2. HEADERS
    3. HI FLOW CAT
    4. EXHAUST
    5. ECU + TUNE
    6. TURBO / SUPERCHARGER

Then you got minor mods to increase it by 1 or 2 such as TB Coolant Bypass ect ect.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    7. Sell car and buy evo!

But seriously, I felt the light weight flywheel made the biggest difference. CAI's sound great, not too much difference though. Headers make a decent gain, but never been in a CL9 with them.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux
    Best to have cai, headers and catback together for any gains. Something like a haltech ecu + tune by itself can get you more gains with your car stock and then more with the bolt ons.
    Mods: Pioneer Double DIN GPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Buddyclub N+ Spec, Topspeed Headers, Skunk2 Catback Exhaust

Member Array
    Car:
    04 CL9, 11 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by Type R Positive View Post
    7. Sell car and buy evo!

But seriously, I felt the light weight flywheel made the biggest difference. CAI's sound great, not too much difference though. Headers make a decent gain, but never been in a CL9 with them.
    LOLOLOL I was about to get an Evo 7 but then wasn't allowed to sell the car

I have Racing headers in mine and they certainly make a big difference!

Member Array
    Car:
    05 EURO CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by MingZai View Post
    wasn't allowed to sell the car
    why were you not allowed to sell your own car?
    OH WERD?!!

Member Array
    Car:
    04 CL9, 11 323i
    lmao it's my own car but under parents business name and they wish to leave the car for my little sister :P as we owned it first hand then purchased by me :P

Op , you mean a better powerband/ more useable torque right ?
    Because " hp" generally won't make your car faster. Most mods mentioned will only shift the powerband up a give you a few hp more up top but lose hp lower down. This , combined with the extra noise gives a false indication of speed :0)

If you are truly after more power , look at altering gearing or turbo/supercharging. Anything else on a euro appears to be a waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Most mods mentioned will only shift the powerband up a give you a few hp more up top but lose hp lower down.
    By "lose power lower down" do you mean like under 3000rpm? Coz I can't see any loss of power other than that on the graph:

For those who didn't read the whole article:
    Blue - baseline
    Red - CAI
    Green - Headers
    Orange - ECU Reflash

Member Array
    Car:
    04 CL9, 11 323i
    I was about to say that... the ECU reflash fixes that band and that's what you should get.

TBH I don't fully agree with bennjamin because the DC5R vs the Euro R there isn't a BIG difference in track performance wise.

If your car is modded out fine even without the turbo / supercharger you can get some good times.

It's just that you need a lot of time and money to make sure everything is perfect and most people just rather buy another car and waste less money.

ECU reflash + weight loss is quite important if you want a fast car and it's not just about boosting the hp up like bennjamin said. If your tracking, getting good coilovers and sway bars ect ect
    is also needed to handle that extra power or torque.

Even if you don't track your car, I reckon you would still notice improvement in acceleration by applying these mods. So I don't think they're a "waste of time" at all.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    5.06 or 5.46 final drive (provided its manual) is best bang for buck mod to make your car faster =]
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8