Hey all,

Just want to give everyone a heads up that there are counterfeit Hondata K-PRO ecu / chips floating around the world. Even on this very forum, where I got mine from.

Hondata recently added a counterfeit page on their website as I discovered I had one of the first counterfeit K-Pro's.
Basically, the counterfeit Kpro's have these symptoms:

• Failure to upload or datalog.
  • Speed sensor problems.
  • Random rev limits.
  • Failure to start
  • Corruption of ECU table data.

If you experience any of these symptoms, to confirm that you have a counterfeit kpro. Open up your ECU and have a look at the kpro chip. Here is a comparison between the counterfeit kpro and genuine kpro.

Three signs of a counterfeit Kpro:

1. The number 3 on the counterfeit has a straight top, the genuine is curved.
  2. The sides of the counterfeit may rough tabs, the genuine is always smooth.
  3. The counterfeit bar codes are low quality. The genuine bar codes are sharp.

Most of this information is from the Hondata website, although it can be fairly hard to come across the page. So I decided it would be a good idea to let everyone know that there are counterfeits going around. It is best to purchase the KPRO from an official Hondata reseller. Or buy it locally second hand, have a look at the detail of the KPRO chip before you hand over the cash. If you're going to purchase a KPRO online, get them to send you a high quality photo of the inside of the ECU so you can confirm that it is indeed genuine. And it would be a good idea to make the payment through paypal just incase the photo he supplies isn't the one you'll be receiving.

Matt