DC5 Check Engine Light

Hope someone can help me here.

The other day my 'check engine' light came on. I already had the car booked in to an auto electrician to have a look at the air conditioning, so I asked them to plug the car into a code checker and have a look at the fault as well.

Turns out it is one of the O2 sensors.

BUT they wanted to screw me around big time. I decided to NOT let those people do anything to it as I wasn't happy with their explanations of what was wrong or what the car needed. Apart from anything else they wanted to charge me $400 or so to service the air con.

Then went to a friend's workshop, who proceeded to tell me the electrician I had just happened to visit were a bit dodgey anyway (totally random choice on my part). Now I have known this guy for a long time and I know he wouldn't screw me around.

He has since organised to have the air con looked at by someone he trusts and deals with all the time.

He also plugged in his code machine and he confirms it is indeed one of the exhaust sensors. The codes it shows are 1166 and 1167. Both of these show up in the reference book as relating to O2 sensor 1.

On doing a bit of research into it, we have found that one sensor is refered to by Honda as the LAF sensor. This is the one in the front of the cat converter. The second one is refered to as the O2 sensor, which is in the side of the cat converter.

Which one of these is sensor 1? The LAF sensor or the O2 sensor?

I know that the two sensors are not the same. The part will be a genuine one from the local Honda dealer so there is no fear of compatibility from an aftermarket sensor. They're not cheap so I want to be sure I get the right one.

The car is a 2002 Auto base model. 105,000km.

Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type R
    Hey mate, to let you know, I had the similar problem but it's all fixed now. There are two sensors on the exhaust which reads the o2 readings. They are both o2 sensors but some other people call it LAF (lean air fuel) too. Generally sensor 1 is the primary o2 sensor, which is the one before the cat and the secondary sensor is the one on the cat. If you seem to find that your using too much fuel too is because of sensor 1 and also CEL will appear alot after the sensor is completely screwed. So to sum up, sensor 1 is the PRIMARY SENSOR. Best bet is to buy a denso primary from the US for a RSX for around $150 as the honda spares will want $580 for one (i've quoted them and told them to fck off), or if you really need it asap, ask JDMyard in Sydney for one, they will charge $350 each. Hope this helps.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    I have a secondary O2 sensor for sale if you want. Only 130.

Quote Originally Posted by DakDak View Post
    Why would I want to buy something I don't need?

Go sell your shit in the proper section and leave my thread alone.

Thank you Stephen_AUS for your reply. I will look into it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    ^Geez whats up your arse?
    TBH I only skimmed through your thread and saw you had issues with o2 sensors. I had one lying around and thought it might help you. Did I advertise to sell you a turbo kit or something unrelated?

Dont worry mate, I'll DEFINITELY never try to help you anything again.

You haven't tried to help me yet so I don't suppose I will miss anything worthwhile.

The only thing you have done by replying to my thread is to try and help yourself.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type R
    Quote Originally Posted by DakDak View Post
    Tbh here, buying a second hand o2 sensor is completely stupid! Even though you as a seller may say it still works perfect condition, these things is a risk for a buyer. Because once they buy it and next thing they know is that CEL will appear more that what it did before. Also, "ONLY $130" you kidding? Brand new one from the US is around $150, exactly the same but just wait for 2 weeks. When a o2 sensor goes, you just chuck it away and get a new one, no one will buy a second hand o2 sensor because it will be screwed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_AUS View Post
    Hey mate, to let you know, I had the similar problem but it's all fixed now. There are two sensors on the exhaust which reads the o2 readings. They are both o2 sensors but some other people call it LAF (lean air fuel) too. Generally sensor 1 is the primary o2 sensor, which is the one before the cat and the secondary sensor is the one on the cat. If you seem to find that your using too much fuel too is because of sensor 1 and also CEL will appear alot after the sensor is completely screwed. So to sum up, sensor 1 is the PRIMARY SENSOR. Best bet is to buy a denso primary from the US for a RSX for around $150 as the honda spares will want $580 for one (i've quoted them and told them to fck off), or if you really need it asap, ask JDMyard in Sydney for one, they will charge $350 each. Hope this helps.
    Good advice from Stephen here. I've been through the same process and agree with the above.

In the meantime whilst you source a replacement, its fine to drive around with the faulty sensor plugged in. I found that my fuel economy increased by a little bit. Other than partial throttle cruising around town, the sensor doesn't affect the cars fueling mixture in any other way.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Lead
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Talon View Post
    Why would I want to buy something I don't need?

Go sell your shit in the proper section and leave my thread alone.

Thank you Stephen_AUS for your reply. I will look into it.

Hahahah way to make friends with a response like that mate. And your'e a newcomer. Pretty obvious DakDak was only trying to help you out. So its not the exact part your'e after but a polite response wouldn't hurt would it?

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by qstoria View Post
    Hahahah way to make friends with a response like that mate. And your'e a newcomer. Pretty obvious DakDak was only trying to help you out. So its not the exact part your'e after but a polite response wouldn't hurt would it?
    i agry with your philosophy. being treated impolitely does not mean one can be rude in reply.
    and i also agry with buying new o2 sensor, never buy 2nd hand o2 sensor.

unless they cost $5 and your old one fubar.

fyi: my post was not intended to any particular person. just a general statement.
    Last edited by mocchi; 15-11-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: fyi: my post is not intended for any particular person. just a general statement.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

I can also confirm that the LAF sensor is the one before the cat. It reads the air-fuel ratio before the cat, and the secondary sensor reads the air-fuel ratio inside the cat. That way it is ensuring that the cat is doing its job, i.e. reducing emissions. Just an idea, could it be possible that there is nothing wrong with the sensor itself, and that the car is simply running lean/rich? Because you may replace the sensor, and find that you still have a check engine light. Any mods/work done to the car recently? If its possible you could swap your LAF sensor with a friends which you know is working, and see if the check engine light disappears? That way you can determine whether its the sensor itself or your a/f ratio which is causing the light. Just an idea. Good luck with it, sensors can be a pain sometimes lol.
    Wanted to Buy: Any aftermarket parts for DC5 Integra. PM me.