Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8

Is low milleage on ej8 normal?

Hey guys i was wondering what could be the cause of my Civic EJ8 reaching like 300km full tank? I was expecting to get at least 450+ considering my brothers dc2 can go 500km one tank.
    Also I found a hole somewhere in the centre of my exhaust pipe (when i start the car and put my feet near drivers side i can feel air). Could this be the cause of it?
    Here is a picture of it:

My Auto EJ8 is completely stock and has done 116XXXkm. Last service was at 108XXXkm by previous owner so I changed oil, fuel filter, spark plug, air filter and timing belt as soon as i got the car.
    Note: i dont drive like a maniac hitting vtec. I drive like a granny
    Last edited by mattsrea; 11-11-2011 at 04:36 PM.

O2 sensor? I changed mine and got 1-2L/100km better

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    What engine is fitted to the car? What fuel are you using? How do you drive it? Is it auto or manual? All these things will have altering affects of your fuel consumption. I would start with a simple fuel filter change & running the car on a minimum of 95RON petrol and see how you go with that. If after doing this you are still getting poor fuel consumption, further investigation will be required
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post
    O2 sensor? I changed mine and got 1-2L/100km better
    yeah i was thinking it would be the O2 sensor too, but if its faulty wouldnt it show up on the cluster? (the ecu code thingy)

Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    What engine is fitted to the car? What fuel are you using? How do you drive it? Is it auto or manual? All these things will have altering affects of your fuel consumption. I would start with a simple fuel filter change & running the car on a minimum of 95RON petrol and see how you go with that. If after doing this you are still getting poor fuel consumption, further investigation will be required
    Oh yeah i changed the fuel filter too, forgot to add, My engines a stock D16Y8, the cars is running on shell vpower and its auto. Since its auto i drive it like a granny because i wanna see how much fuel it takes.
    Last edited by mattsrea; 11-11-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Nah man, o2 sensor throws up a code if it's gone or broken or some shit. If it's dirty then it just decreases fuel economy (by a lot!). Apparently auto's are only supposed to use a tiny bit more fuel than a manual but all 3 auto cars in my house drink the petrol bad. also check your temp guage is warming up correctly otherwise thermostat gone.

Try BP ult. I find shell vpower gives me less kms

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Nah man, o2 sensor throws up a code if it's gone or broken or some shit. If it's dirty then it just decreases fuel economy (by a lot!). Apparently auto's are only supposed to use a tiny bit more fuel than a manual but all 3 auto cars in my house drink the petrol bad. also check your temp guage is warming up correctly otherwise thermostat gone.

Try BP ult. I find shell vpower gives me less kms
    Ohh right, but how do you check if your o2 sensor is dirty? Well how do you clean it?? And also how do you know if temp gauge is working correctly, i assume it is considering after like 5mins on idle it begins to rise and never goes above the half mark.
    And yeah i would get a manual but stupid P1 is restricted -_-

I'll try filling up BP Ult after this tank is gone lol dont wanna mix them together.

Also as for the picture, is that hole normal? I guess not considering it blows air from that area.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    nah, id get that hole fixed, itll actually fail its next rego inspection
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    nah, id get that hole fixed, itll actually fail its next rego inspection
    Oh right, i'll see if i can take it to a mechanic this weekend to see if they can repair it. So yeah thats not normal yeah? LOL

Most people never change the o2 sensor. And by 116xxx that shit is brown as dirt. Just get a new one from the USA. Direct plug and play, mine was like $80 or something for a denso one. On a moderate day, the temp guage should rise to around 1/3 by 5 minutes and stay there. If the temperature gauge drops when driving and rises when stopped, it's ****ed. And yeah, fix the exhaust before you get done for it, but that's probably not affecting your fuel consumption.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Most people never change the o2 sensor. And by 116xxx that shit is brown as dirt. Just get a new one from the USA. Direct plug and play, mine was like $80 or something for a denso one. On a moderate day, the temp guage should rise to around 1/3 by 5 minutes and stay there. If the temperature gauge drops when driving and rises when stopped, it's ****ed. And yeah, fix the exhaust before you get done for it, but that's probably not affecting your fuel consumption.
    Oh my temp gauge should be okay then it doesnt do that lol. But yeah i'll see what my mechanic says, then fromt here on i'll get the denso o2 sensors. Btw is the o2 sensor is located inside the exhaust pipe?
    Last edited by mattsrea; 11-11-2011 at 06:17 PM.

The primary o2 sensor screws into the lower part of your headers, just before the cat (somewhere around there, might be different on the ej8).

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    The primary o2 sensor screws into the lower part of your headers, just before the cat (somewhere around there, might be different on the ej8).
    Alright i'll check it out tomorrow if i have time. Thanks Charliebrown