Thread: Helper springs?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8

Helper springs?

hey ppl, have anyone used them before and any places that sell them?

i wanna go a bit lower with coilovers, by lowering the spring perch, but with that comes the uncertainty of the spring becoming loose when in full droop and potentially becoming unseated on the spring seat.

cheers!
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I have seen them fitted to cars and have spoken to other people that own them and have had mixed results. Personally I don't like the idea of them, but each to their own
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Have you already maxed out the lowering perch on the bottom of the coilover?

Dropping the preload on the spring, which is what you want to do, would be alright as the weight of the car will hold it in position. The only way the spring would unseat is if you were to lift the weight of the car off the ground ie. Jumping.

It will however shorten the length of stroke the shock has. I would suggest no more the 20-30 mm though. It is the same principle as cutting the springs on stock struts.
    Problem?

FFamily

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxer View Post
    Have you already maxed out the lowering perch on the bottom of the coilover?

Dropping the preload on the spring, which is what you want to do, would be alright as the weight of the car will hold it in position. The only way the spring would unseat is if you were to lift the weight of the car off the ground ie. Jumping.

It will however shorten the length of stroke the shock has. I would suggest no more the 20-30 mm though. It is the same principle as cutting the springs on stock struts.
    cheers man, lower body is maxed out an im sitting tire just touching above guard, but want more tuck in...

Will give it a shot in lowering the spring perch an see how it goes.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Track Car
    its fine to do it the above mentioned way, mine is like that.

keeper springs keep a spring captive and are then solid once the cars weight drops onto them, they make a spring remain captive keeping it legal in a roadworthy sense.
    buuuuuuut if you have a Honda with aftermarket coilovers and your dropping the lower spring seat the car would be under 100mm from the road anyway... making keeper springs a waste of time lol