Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro '04

[CL9] K&N filter on a Comptech icebox..possible?

Heeltoe website is back online..yay!

I've decided fto go for a CT Icebox intake rather than a CAI after some researching, and read somewhere that the K&N filter works well with it. Better deeper sound on the high revs too.

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/product....at=1730&page=1

But was checking with the folks there and here's what they said

Hi there, sorry for taking some time to reply here.

The K&N filter is a direct OEM replacement for the stock panel filter. The Comptech box can use the K&N with slight modification however it comes with a filter already which we suggest using with that intake.
    Marcus di Sabella
    President and CEO of di Sabella Industries, Inc.
    Heeltoe Automotive, Fastline Performance, Medieval-Pro

Has anyone ever done that setup? Wondering what kind of modfication it needs, and if its complicated or not

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 03
    Im pretty sure its just filing the plastic around it to make it fit

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Yes but you need a seal around the edges. Do a search as there is an existing thread on this topic.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwannabe View Post
    Yes but you need a seal around the edges. Do a search as there is an existing thread on this topic.
    ^^^As above i've done it.

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux
    Mods: Pioneer Double DIN GPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Buddyclub N+ Spec, Topspeed Headers, Skunk2 Catback Exhaust

As much as I like the idea of the CT Icebox, I think it's a bit of a rip off especially when you're gonna fork out another 80 buck or so for a K&N replacement filter.

Seriously just do what I did, get the K&N replacement filter, slip it in the factory box and then remove your resonator and get one of those flexible pipes and mount it so that it sucks air directly from behind the front bumper side vent (you need to cut holes in the plastic cover though) and feed it directly into the bottom opening of the factory box.

That's what I did and honestly I am very happy with it, you get all the benefit of a CT Icebox except for the high volume lid that I don't really think makes that much of a difference. The biggest selling point of the CT Icebox is the horn that replaces the resonator and I reckon that pipe even does a better job because you can mount it right behind the bumper side vent where the nice cool air is

I gotta right a DIY about this mod, I love it.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by tonysalib View Post
    As much as I like the idea of the CT Icebox, I think it's a bit of a rip off especially when you're gonna fork out another 80 buck or so for a K&N replacement filter.

Seriously just do what I did, get the K&N replacement filter, slip it in the factory box and then remove your resonator and get one of those flexible pipes and mount it so that it sucks air directly from behind the front bumper side vent (you need to cut holes in the plastic cover though) and feed it directly into the bottom opening of the factory box.

That's what I did and honestly I am very happy with it, you get all the benefit of a CT Icebox except for the high volume lid that I don't really think makes that much of a difference. The biggest selling point of the CT Icebox is the horn that replaces the resonator and I reckon that pipe even does a better job because you can mount it right behind the bumper side vent where the nice cool air is

I gotta right a DIY about this mod, I love it.
    You dont NEED a K&N filter, it comes with an unifilter and that works just fine, if the user wants to fork out for a K&N panel that the user's problem. the extra sound and 'urge" from the K&N is usually cause by the filter box not sealed property...

Theres lots of DIY icebox mods out there, but the Icebox air box lid is smooth and is about 40% larger in size, the higher volume lid is what drives the better response iirc

And key point is that the icebox airhorn is the velocity stack... which is what makes the difference in terms of airflow into the airbox
    Last edited by Fredoops; 18-11-2011 at 03:14 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro '04
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_k View Post

Good man. Thanks for the link

Looks like the those who've done it can't really notice much of a difference than using the icebox's stock foam filter though

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660860