Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport

Unhappy My FD2 rejected aftermarket flip key

Hi guys

I bought an aftermarket flip key from ebay and had it cut from a proper locksmith (not those supermarket ones) but my car rejected it. When I stick it into the key hole, the green key light indicator comes on the dash and keeps flashing and the car wont start. The key goes in & out and rotates without a fuss though (I mean not getting stuck or anything)!! I spoke to locksmith and he advised me that it should be fine once I swap the remote buttons from the original to this aftermarket key but it didn't make any difference. I had a chat with a Honda guy at the dealership last week when I dropped the car there for service and I clearly remember him saying FD2 cars have no issues with aftermarket keys.So what's happening here has anybody else had a similar issue??

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    you need to get it programmed at a dealership

there's a RFID chip in the key that needs to be programmed to be accepted by your ECU. Generally cloning the RFID from an existing key will work. A competent key cutter should be able to help you.

I paid $145 for supply, cut and programming
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    I see. I was under the impression that my key would not need programming, even the dude at honda confirmed it but I guess (rather know now) we both were wrong on it. Thanks for the help mate, will try to find someone who knows what they're doing and get the key programmed!!

Any ideas how much just the programming would cost?? I paid $50 just for the cut though.

remote will be working fine, but the key needs to be programmed.

im not sure if the FD2 has a red learning key, if it does, you will need it to program the key, if not, you will have to duplicate the key transponder.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei_ View Post

im not sure if the FD2 has a red learning key
    Cheers for the reply mate, but is there a way to figure out if a key is a learning key or not? I mean some sort of marking on the key?

Were you given a red key sealed in a plastic container at the time of purchase?

the red key looks like this

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Nah. Mine came loose (without any packaging) as its a used car and looks like this.

in that case im not too sure about those type of key. you may not even have a red learning key.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Your FD2 comes with an integrated key. I'm assuming you just moved the transponder over to the new key? You may find that the transponder location is slightly further away from the ignition barrel than the original key. You will need to desolder and move the actual antenna closer to the ignition barrel side. Looks like a black bar on the PCB. My Ebay keys will actually have a small slot the same size as the just above the base of the key.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    I'm assuming you just moved the transponder over to the new key?
    Yeah, that's done. Will try what you just suggested and see if that makes any difference. thanks

Edit: Just had a look at the ebay key and noticed the distance between that antenna and the ignition barrel is in centimeters where as the same distance in OEM key is in millimeters. So that means I don't have to program the key and have to place the antenna off the PCB & closer to the ignition barrel inside the aftermarket key??
    Last edited by civicer; 13-09-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by civicer View Post
    Yeah, that's done. Will try what you just suggested and see if that makes any difference. thanks

Edit: Just had a look at the ebay key and noticed the distance between that antenna and the ignition barrel is in centimeters where as the same distance in OEM key is in millimeters. So that means I don't have to program the key and have to place the antenna off the PCB & closer to the ignition barrel inside the aftermarket key??
    This is correct! Be careful not to melt it when you desolder. You will need to buy very thin wire to resolder and extend it. If you need more info let me know.