Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Jazz VTi, '00 RD1 CRV

RD-1 CRV - air con compressor gone

Drove about an hour out of Brisbane in 32dg heat, driving up a fairly steep rise.....POP and what sounded like gravel or sticks stuck underneath the car.

Air con compressor has obviously gone. Serpentine belt that drives it still appears to be intact but pulled into a local cafe and she was smoking

Anyone had this happen before, and how much was it to repair? Did some searches and it's extremely common on the Gen-2 CRVs but also heard reports the A/C units on anything built before 2007 were dodgy....

It's ralphed the entire fan, if you turn it on it squeals horribly.
    '91 CB7 Accord EXi (my first Honda)
    '07 GD3 Jazz VTi (mine)
    '00 RD1 CR-V Sport (wife's truck)

RD-1 CRV - air con compressor gone

I own a 2007 CRV luxury, and I took the car for service to the Honda dealer, thinking the AC just needed gas. I was hit with a $3,000 quote for a blown compressor.

I immediately took the car back. I have since done my research and found that it was a known problem in the 02-06 models. Any CRV with AC on the drivers side the compressor would implode in the first 3 years. In the US a law-suit was put together and the owners won.

After speaking to a number of AC mechanics, who have all replaced compressors on CRV's they believe, not enough oil is put in the system from the factory. Honda are only prepared to warranty the compressor for 1 year, I now know why.