Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Paint repair in Sydney?

Hi all,
    Can anyone recommend a paint repairer in Sydney? I've attempted to colour code my door handles some years ago but it was never perfect and it is started to peel. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK/EP3R
    2SUS and Queen St customs are highly professional and amazingly underpriced, will give you that sexspec paint you've always dreamed of.

welcome abourd
    Last edited by kyzz; 30-11-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    2SUS

Queen St

Few other places
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Quote Originally Posted by kyzz View Post
    2SUS and Queen St customs are highly professional and amazingly underpriced, will give you that sexspec paint you've always dreamed of.
    awesome guys. Thanks for that info. I'll get a quote from them one day. I always thought they'd be the most expensive but lets see...

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    They are pretty expensive, but their work speaks for itself.

DIY isn't that hard though, sounds like you didn't sand back your job good the first time round (hence the peeling).

There should be a DIY in the DIY section for it.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK/EP3R
    Was being a bit sarcastic about the pricing and sexspec paint :P But like tiksie said, their work is pretty remarkable.

Was being a bit sarcastic about the pricing and sexspec paint :P But like tiksie said, their work is pretty remarkable.
    Oh haha... I thought I had put 'on a budget' or to that effect in the first post but obviously didn't end up doing it as I don't want a cheap backyard job either.

I might attempt it again myself, only I am afraid of having a hard time taking the door handles off and reinstalling them.

Where I think I went wrong was that I didn't take off the door handles when I sprayed them, and with the side bumper strips the can of clear coat wasn't very good and I didn't get a good seal on it.

When would you need to sand? I never really saw the point of sanding between coats. Smoother finish?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK/EP3R
    doing a backyard job can be good depending on the size of the area you need to paint, go to 2SUS, Queen St or even a panel beater that does resprays and get them to mix you a tin of paint, just find your colour code, should be inside passenger door when you open it, on the frame of the car. Unless you have a hard to match one off colour then your best off at queen st or 2sus. srs.

Sanding down bumper strips might be a good idea as the PU is slightly textured when paint dries ontop of it, it will also be textured. Sanding down will remove any imperfections of the paint and in turn allow for a smoother finish like you said.

You're best off getting a quality clear coat if your DIYing it, might be a bit more on the pocket but it's as budget as a quality DIY can get. Should be easy to do if you're doing small parts. I'd have done it to my car by now, but i just haven't been bothered hahaha.

also I think if you check out the DIY section there are threads about people who respray parts and even whole cars, giving you step by step instructions.
    Last edited by kyzz; 30-11-2011 at 07:31 PM.

doing a backyard job can be good depending on the size of the area you need to paint, go to 2SUS, Queen St or even a panel beater that does resprays and get them to mix you a tin of paint, just find your colour code, should be inside passenger door when you open it, on the frame of the car. Unless you have a hard to match one off colour then your best off at queen st or 2sus. srs.

Sanding down bumper strips might be a good idea as the PU is slightly textured when paint dries ontop of it, it will also be textured. Sanding down will remove any imperfections of the paint and in turn allow for a smoother finish like you said.

You're best off getting a quality clear coat if your DIYing it, might be a bit more on the pocket but it's as budget as a quality DIY can get. Should be easy to do if you're doing small parts. I'd have done it to my car by now, but i just haven't been bothered hahaha.

also I think if you check out the DIY section there are threads about people who respray parts and even whole cars, giving you step by step instructions.
    Thanks for the comments kyzz. Will check out the DIY section. Would love to spray the whole car myself but I know the hrs required just wouldn't be worth it if I'm likely to stuff it up in parts. Cheers guys

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    Its not as hard as it seems I think 2~3hours should be fine and 50bucks of your hard earned money. I DIYed the skirts and my car is yellow and its bloody hard to get paint to match. . . but it looks fine currently as long as you don't stare at it closely then you won't really notice the difference. But as kyzz said if you have a hard color (like mine) to match it better to take it to a pro, I know i need to as the mixed paint from autobarn just dont work. A different shade of yellow for my ek's front grills makes it looks fuggly.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic
    Go to a paint supplier, give them your paint code. They will mix up some paint for you aswell as colour match it to your car.

While you're there, get yourself some plastic primer, some sand paper (600 wetordry).

Go home, sand back your old paint with the 600 wetordry, prepsol, spray the plastic promoter over the area you're painting, lay your colour and then clear. Easy as that.

Yeh, I did my skirts as well and they look fairly good. Only did it with spray cans off the shelf, primer and a clear coat, all off the shelf. Like manonastick said, it looks pretty good as long as you are at least a foot away and not looking for imperfections. I just did it again though because of the stone chips near the parts that are close to the wheels.

The worst part I attempted were the door handles and side bumper strips. I've now taken the bumper strips off so i reckon I can do a good job on that but the door handles are what I am not keen to remove as it looks likely that I'd break something and looks difficult.
    Last edited by CKL2; 01-12-2011 at 07:46 AM.