Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Waste of money.. Track car = weld in roll cage, Street car = no need.

Remember, cars are supposed to have flex in them. A solid / rigid car on the street is not only uncomfortable, but wears suspension components much faster also.

That bar however, does sweet F A
    Problem?

FFamily

To be quite honest I would like to see some figures that would prove this bars effectiveness physically rather than phsycologically ('cause I think it falls into the latter). Let's look at it logically (lots of ally's, I know). It's ends are bolted to the side chassis rails at the seat belt mountings which are about 75-80mm above the floor pan. The bar itself is welded to brackets that are extended out from those bolts by about 75-80mm (allowing some flex, especially as it's got carpet between it and the chassis).

About 300mm behind it is the vertical panel forming the box section that supports the rear seats (offering more stiffening effect).

Do you really believe that this bar is anything else than a way to make money.

Banned Array
    Car:
    [|-|]
    This question is gotta get a lot of different responses. Some will like..some won't.

I reckon it comes down to what you use your car for..

Track car - def will be usefull since it'll stiffen up the chassis.

Daily - not needed and will just make your car too uncomfortable.

Go buy it n decide for yourself..

Better option would be a waist high brace. But the only real stiffening you're going to get is a diagonal or X brace. This floor variety is going to do as Oxer has put so succinctly, Sweet F A.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    B-pillar brace and/or miracle x bar will do better than a floor brace as you are reducing flex in the roof
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Just bought one of these. Gonna put it in and see how it goes. Some said my front 3 point fender braces were useless but I felt a difference with them in. Call it psychological but I reckon if I can tell a difference with them in and with them out it's worth it.
    WP PB 1:15:03

I've been doing some researching into this and spoke to a guy that builds roll cages. His opinion is that a floor brace wouldn't do anything but add weight to the car. He said what increases strength and rigidity is triangles, hence why roll cages have diagonal bars. He wasn't too fazed with the idea of c-pillar bars either, unless they connect to the struts, like an x-brace. His view was that, if you have a cage you don't need anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by vtecing View Post
    I've been doing some researching into this and spoke to a guy that builds roll cages. His opinion is that a floor brace wouldn't do anything but add weight to the car. He said what increases strength and rigidity is triangles, hence why roll cages have diagonal bars. He wasn't too fazed with the idea of c-pillar bars either, unless they connect to the struts, like an x-brace. His view was that, if you have a cage you don't need anything else.
    This is true, once you go roll cage you can **** off those braces. But mine's a street car that gets driven most days of the week, and I'm not putting a roll cage in it. These braces are the next best thing short of stripping the whole car and spot welding it.
    WP PB 1:15:03

Quote Originally Posted by Glocker View Post
    Just bought one of these. Gonna put it in and see how it goes. Some said my front 3 point fender braces were useless but I felt a difference with them in. Call it psychological but I reckon if I can tell a difference with them in and with them out it's worth it.
    3 point strut tower (fender) braces are better than 2 point because they prevent side to side movement of the front end as well as longitudinal stiffening and you would certainly have felt and been able to measure improvements in handling and are definitely worth it. The only thing to be aware of is that the vehicle structure where the "point" of the triangle mounts is strong enough and sufficiently braced where it bolts to, to gain the maximum benefit. Excellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by vtecing View Post
    He said what increases strength and rigidity is triangles
    There's the key

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    IMO roll cage is the best mod for stability in the cabin area.

After rolling my car on it's side, I've been dreaming about roll cages. Not practical for streetcar tho'

For EG/DC/EK, it gives adds heaps of rigidity to an otherwise flexy chassis.
    Last edited by Mikecivic78; 13-01-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Quote Originally Posted by Oxer View Post
    Waste of money.. Track car = weld in roll cage, Street car = no need.

Remember, cars are supposed to have flex in them. A solid / rigid car on the street is not only uncomfortable, but wears suspension components much faster also.

That bar however, does sweet F A
    Smart.

I had one in my civic when it was on the street, removed it after a few weeks because i felt like the added weight of it was taking away any potential benefit. Although the one I had was a heavy bastard...
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW