Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec

noob boost question..

noob question here.. can boost be increased without any sort of boost controller? say with a dyno tune?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    how is a dyno tune gonna increase it, when you dont actually have a way to adjust it?!!?!???

think of it this way. you have a light globe and a light switch. its on or off. one level of brightness.

then you have another light globe but its hooked up to a dimmer switch. you can adjust the brightness. This is just like a boost controller.

Pretty much what youre asking is, can you use a volt meter to adjust the brightness of the globe with just an on/off switch.

the answer is no.
    Last edited by trism; 04-12-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    You can to a degree, but not via dyno tuning. By altering the spring rate in the waste gate, you can alter what boost setting you run at. This can involve alot of f**king around and for all the time you waste, I would just go and by an electronic boost controller and be done with it =]
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 VTi-R
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    how is a dyno tune gonna increase it, when you dont actually have a way to adjust it?!!?!???

think of it this way. you have a light globe and a light switch. its on or off. one level of brightness.

then you have another light globe but its hooked up to a dimmer switch. you can adjust the brightness. This is just like a boost controller.

Pretty much what youre asking is, can you use a volt meter to adjust the brightness of the globe with just an on/off switch.

the answer is no.
    cihanvtec - not sure if you got past all that but what trism is implying is no you cant

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    thanks guys, that makes perfect sense. any idea how easy they are to install? or what sort of place would install one?

really appreciate it guys, cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    i can fit electronic boost controller for you. pm me to organise
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    You CAN adjust boost WITHOUT a boost controller. You do not NEED a boost controller. Setting a boost level is quite often done by the tuner via a dyno. The dyno itself cannot adjust boost, its up to a person.

Two types of turbos. INTERNAL wastegate and EXTERNAL wastegate.

Internal is adjusted by the actuator. This is adjusted via the arm that opens the wastegate. this can be adjusted longer or shorter to adjust when the gate opens or closes. You do not need a boost controller.

External is adjusted via the spring inside it. You can get 5 psi, 7, 10psi etc. You do not need a boost controller.
    Deano.

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    thank you very much for that. thats what i was after. so once i get my car tuned, the tuner will be able to either adjust the boost level to an aggressive level or a safe tune running low boost? just really shady on the whole thing since im new to boosting. thanks guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Alot of oem turbo cars are internal gated setup, as they are compact and can be low mounted and cheaper to manufacture.... But in saying that, they are electronic or have boost restrictors to limit the boost, but since u are asking about a turbo kit which is aftermarket, it will most likely come with some sort of a manual boost bleed, or simply run off the actuator to restrict the boost.

If ur after a quick fix, any simple manual boost bleeder would do the trick!

No need to go EBC, cause ur not tuning it for track or dyno queen...
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    You just need to change the spring on the wastegate's actuator to adjust boost pressure to a certain extent.

Why do people insist on giving the wrong info...
    i live my life full boost, one gear at a time.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Just get a boost controller an be done with it LOL
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by xenonkuraz View Post
    You just need to change the spring on the wastegate's actuator to adjust boost pressure to a certain extent.

Why do people insist on giving the wrong info...
    A standard internal gated turbo doesnt have a spring but a diaphragm, a spring is what they use on many external type waste gate
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC