Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    A standard internal gated turbo doesnt have a spring but a diaphragm, a spring is what they use on many external type waste gate
    What do you think moves the diaphragm then? All wastegates have springs, just the internally gated set ups have the rod attached to the diaphragm & spring to open up a flap in the rear housing to allow excess air flow through
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    What do you think moves the diaphragm then? All wastegates have springs, just the internally gated set ups have the rod attached to the diaphragm & spring to open up a flap in the rear housing to allow excess air flow through
    ah my bad, an yes, that is true.

And on that note, this does explain why u need a boost controller, as it allows/limits the amount of pressure that enters the actuator thus allowing the flap to open/close at certain pressure....

One common problem with internal gated ive ran across was boost spiking, though running a EBC does help alot, for those who run a manual bleed valve its not a pretty sight!
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Simple answer NO.

if your using a standard turbo with an internal wastegate/actuator = NO.
    If your internal wastegate/actuator has an adjustable ROD = YES
    If external wastegate/spring = YES
    If boost controller = YES
    IF during a dyno tune = NO (yet again - define what dyno tune really involves?)
    IF your running an after marker ECU with boost controller option = YES

People are saying by playing around/tampering with your internal actuator adjusts boost then they are wrong!

You cannot tamper with your internal actuator as they are Diaphragm/spring loaded, and if u dent the actuator housing, this will cause the Diaphragm/spring to malfunction.

Best thing is buy a boost controller or buy the optional boost controller/module for an aftermarket ECU.

just to answer the theory below;

[
    A standard internal gated turbo doesnt have a spring but a diaphragm, a spring is what they use on many external type waste gate
    What moves the Diaphragm/spring in and out is the amount of forced controlled pressure vs vacume pressure within the turbo setup.

There is a spring in the internal actuator which is under the diaphragm - this is controlled by the pressure within the engines gases. i.e Vacume, Exhaust etc,

External Wastegates = are spring loaded and do not have diaphragms. - Boost is controlled by the spring density rating.

Put your pedal down = builds up pressure by the turbo spooling (actuator closed), once released the vacume acts and opens up the actuator which then releases the excess exhaust gasses into your dump pipe.

Here is a great write up all about turbo setups.

http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html
    Last edited by IV73CI; 05-12-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    learn something new errday.

S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9/CL9
    Jesus Christ how interesting lol
    never knew that

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Mine has a spring and a diaphragm...
    i live my life full boost, one gear at a time.

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Quote Originally Posted by xenonkuraz View Post
    Mine has a spring and a diaphragm...
    if internal then YES - it will have both Spring and Diaphragm.
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......