Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    AP1,DC2R,NA6

DC2R - Consuming alot of fuel..

Hi Guys,

Recently our DC2R has been chewing through petrol like no tomorrow. A full tank would probably only last me ~300km? No sure exactly, but I filled up a tank the other day and it was almost gone after 3-4 days. This is driving at a normal pace, shifting at 3-5 rpm, no vtecing.

So I've come to conclusion that it could be either fuel pump or injectors? Any ideas/suggestions how I can fix this..

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r,evo1,evo2
    whens the last time you serviced your caR??

Member Array
    Car:
    Winfield
    replace o2 (oxygen) sensors?
    check tyre pressure?

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    first question is what fuel are you running it on?
    secondly when was the fuel filter last replaced? - if it was over 20,000km ago, change it
    thirdly have you fouled a spark plug? - if you have, put a new set of plugs in

If the fuel pump was on the way out you would find that the car will be running leaner, rather than richer. I would recommend a Carbon Clean on car fuel system cleaner. http://www.5starauto.com.au/carbon.htm has a brief outline on how it works. It also cleans carbon deposits from O2 sensors. I have found this to be the best fuel system cleaner (and I have used everything from tank additives to off car injector cleaning/flow test machines)
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Work out your fuel consumption accurately in L/100km and then come back to this thread. You have given no numbers that suggest anything is wrong with your fuel consumption, your fuel gauge could be faulty for all we know.

Member Array
    Car:
    Nonda Tiburon
    yeah too many variables

frequent short trips, traffic, tyre pressures, ambient temperatures, bad fuel, wrong fuel, fuel filter, o2 sensor, mods etc etc

list goes on
    ..OzHonda Spam Crew..
    ..We Welcome You Abourd!..

DC2R/DC5R Parts for SALE!

Member Array
    Car:
    None
    The use of the A/C also contributes to higher fuel consumption.

Also, if you live in a block of apartments or units, one of your neighbours might be siphoning your fuel.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    50l tank in an integra. Fuel light comes on with 10l left (supposedly, based on my quick research)

If youre filling up when the fuel light comes on, all the way till the fuel is coming out the top of the filler nozzle, we will say 40l

300km to 40L is about 13.3l per 100km

To me, if all yorue doing is city/suburban/stop-start driving, this seems perfectly reasonable.

if it was up around 17-18l per 100km, id be getting worried.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    the fuel filter on my dc4 hasnt been changed in about 90,000kms and i still get 10l per 100 driving around town (smallish regional town) and get even better economy with free way driving. i always fill up with bp ultimate and always rev 3k+ when driving around (unless in the main street or cold)

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    rear window dimister, that shit is evil, turn it off!!!
    naturally i finished my set.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1,DC2R,NA6
    Car was last serviced <1000km ago - and I don't know if the fuel filter has been replaced since it was bought 50,000km ago, I'm pretty sure the gf hasn't replaced it before.

I've replaced the spark plugs with NGK Platinum which hasnt' solved the issue.

Fuel is Caltex Vortex - driving in suburban and frequent fwy conditions. The throttle body cable of the car has previously has been modified, which I think may contribute to the problem.

I'll fill up a full tank this week and get a more accurate measurement of the fuel consumption

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Personally I would switch to BP ultimate as I have never been able to get consistant results with vortex. Run a couple of tanks thru, get an average L/100km and lets us know
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8